Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

k series head gasket failure?

chris perry 1

Dear All,

Have a question regarding my 'P' reg rover 214, 70,000 mile, british racing green, banger.

It has been losing coolent from the expansion take for a while, no obvious leaks from any hoses etc.

Went to top it up today and found some milk like guinness stuff (so thats how they make it!) on the under side of the expansion tank cap. There also appeared to be some film floating on the surface of the coolent. No sign of any milky stuff on the under side of the oil filler cap and no water in the oil.

I changed the coolent about two years ago, (ethelen glycol). So is the first signs of the head gasket starting to go or does the coolent go mankey after a while?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Perry

I have seen this before on a couple of high power K engines in both cases it prooved not to be the head gasket but a cracked block in the area around the oil feed to the head. Its worth trying a head gasket replacement first but if oil is still getting into the coolant then suspect the block.

I'd agree that it could be the oilway, however, given the vintage of the engine, it's more likely to be leakage round the front dowel where there is a known problem with early plastic dowels and early head gasket design.

If it is this classic problem then a simple gasket/dowel repalcement should see it put right.

Oily

I concur with Oily and Rob, both of whom (especially Oily) know more about Ks than I can imagine. My 1.4K leaked by cyl 3 and 4.

The cost isn't negligible - OK I paid to ahve the head stripped and skimmed (80 and VAT) which you might avoid but you are still into nearly £150 for parts. (Gaskets 75, cambelt 30, fluids, VAT), plus a minimum of 6 hours labour so think it over if it really is a banger and the MoT is near. These cars are in the papers in the 3-500 range after all.