Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Good wets for track days any ideas?

groutledge

I'm looking for a set of wets to compliments the 32Rs I use for track days. I have some 21R's at the moment but I'm looking for something gripier.

Requirements are

- Must be radial as I don't want to have to fiddle with the camber settings. And my ital axle won't take ACB10's ( which are steep anyway!)

- Must be cheap, because I am!

- Must fit on my 5.5 inch steel Wellers

- Must be good for wet and those horrible greasy conditions.

- Must not idealy disintigrate when it starts to dry out

- If one tyre works for wet and dry all the better

- Nice and progressive please for that live axle slide.

- Prefferably road legal!

So far I'm wondering about CR500's ( which I've heard are good wet or dry ), Avon CR28s which I know a lot of Elise racers use. also the Maxsport/Colway remoulds look interesting, any body tried them?

Anybody got any ideas, Alex, Arnie you seem to have tried most of them any thoughts?

Graham

You could do a lot worse than a set of Avon CR28, but it is essential to make sure that they are the "Sport" version, these have a much softer compound, they work well in the dry but I found them brilliant in the wet. They were all the rage a few years ago, but seem to have slipped from view now, so I don't know whether they are still available.

I wasn't at all impressed by Maxsports, although they are very cheap, best pay that bit more and get a better tyre. If anyone wants a set of nearly worn out 14" Maxsports for track use they are welcome to mine FOC from Taunton.

Can anyone comment on the wet and dry capabilities of the current Avon ZV1, as supplied from the factory? They are supposed to be a soft compound version made for Caterham.

Can't comment on the Caterham version but the standard ZV1 is good in the wet, particularly when it is very wet, but not so good in the dry. I have them on my car currently. I find it in the wet comparable with the Goodyear ventura (my previous 1A wet weather tyre) which in various tests has been shown to be about the best standard road tyre in really wet conditions. Having said that the 21R is better than both, due to it being appreciably softer.

CR500's are better than 021's in the wet but in truth, none of them are actually good. Soft compound 032's and ACB10's are very good in damp conditions but a handful if there's standing water to clear. CR500's are not cheap.

Cut slick wets are in another league altogether but don't meet with your criteria above. Even if you don't change your camber settings, these will run rings around 021's or CR500's. They will start to disintegrate in the dry though.