Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nylon bolts

Pierre Gillet

Just replaced the rear wing ss protectors by CF ones and repainted the wings. In an attempt to apply the tip given on this site as to replacing the M5 steel bolts by plastic ones, I have found at my local Castorama "nylon" M5 bolts 20 mm long and nuts. Is the "nylon" spec suitable for the "safety" purpose we are looking for (preventing the ali body from being damaged in an accident)?

Your input would be very much welcome.

Pierre

Thanks Dave. Just hope the damage is not too big. It happened to me once : the lowest bolt had sheared the ali panel due to a small length of concrete reinforcement bar that hit the rear left wing on a motorway! I "pop-riveted" a triangle of ali plate in which I drilled a new hole for a new rivnut.

Cheers,

Pierre

I have repeatedly sourced them for UK 7eners.

If I remember correctly, they were about 7 quid per 100.

We did a bulk buy of M5 Polyamid bolts, stainless large washers and stainless self-locking nuts a while ago.

Roy had them, but I am not sure if there are any left.

If enough people are interested (and they should, considering how much money these save in case anything hite the rear wing!), I'll be happy to buy and ship them to someone in the UK who would then collect funds/ship them packed.

Reimbursement of plain cost and shipping to GB is all I'd like.

Ask around, then e-mail me direct. They are rather cheap over here, compared to UK prices.

Have a Happy New Year, everyone ! - Karsten

Out of interest you can also buy them in Model shops (as in aeroplanes etc, not Jerry Hall).

They are used for a very similar purpose, to prevent the under-carriage ripping a bloody great hole in the model in the event of a hard landing. They are M5 and come in various lengths which are, of course, quite easy to cut.

Brent