Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2006 registration

Graeme Smith

One waits for the relvent bit of paper to appear in low flying, or a link to electronic copy of same to appear on the L7C front page *smile*

I expect Mark will be along in a mo to say when will happen

Planning on competing again then? Looks like supergrad cars will be in class 1 this year, so I can be even more shown up than usual 😳

R

Hi Graeme,

Hope you are well!

The 2006 Regs and entry forms have not been published yet (work over Christmas for me to draft them!) - although the proposed changes to the 2005 regs are shown on the other thread about the Technical Forum decisions. I would not expect the Regs/Championship entry form to be available until probably the end of Jan - at the same time as the finalised list of events etc.

Brian

From the tech forum discussion summary:

Class 1: Will be amended to include the older/current specification of Caterham Academy and Supergrad cars as long as they are unmodified. Max 120bhp.

Rebore allowance for 1600 crossflows - will be max 60thou overbore

No sequential gearboxes.

My supergrad was rated at 115 when it was in Academy 2002, and I've not changed anything enginewise, so I assume it hasn't gained any power (wish it would tho!). Currently announced supergrad spec doesn't call for any changes for 2006 (although there was talk of a non catalyst exhaust to add 5 bhp - but even with that I'd only be at 120)

As noted by myself and MM above, I'm not going to be near the front anyway - just losing one of my excuses! Except, perhaps, at Longcross *tongue*

(And Mike, you can't come last in races that you didn't enter!)

R

Graham,

Good to see you are thinking about coming back to the Sprint series. I think this year will be more difficult than ever but watching you at the Plum Pudding race chasing Mike Welburn along I think anything is possible! The regs were primarily changed to try to get more people into Class I and hopefully attract the Academy and Supergrads people.

Gordon,

Yes you can modify your engine as long as you stay within the capaicity requirement (less than 1600cc) although you are now allowed a rebore allowance (says Crossflows below but can't see why it wouldn't apply to good old 8V Vauxhalls). Hopefully Brian or Mark will be along shortly to clarify rebore query.

Thanks Charles.....

Collecting car tomorrow from 7 Workshop with new side and rear skin (insurance job following numpty driving into my car in a car park ) and a full cage like yours 😬 *thumbup*....the inlet manifold gasket had been sucked into the port hence it wouldn't run properly so I should be back to 100bhp so watch out *biggrin*....... funds don't allow the extra 25bhp YET.... *tongue*...

Looking forward very much to the coming season...especially Shelsey Walsh and hopefully a few more class 1'ers too.

Gordy

Hang on, I thought Super Grads ran list 1B tyre, so would be running in Class 2.

Or have I got the wrong end of the twig (again)?

-----------------------------------

Black grads racing 1.6 x-flow - rear facing flamethrower as standard

Se7en spotting here

Charles,

The idea of the rebore allowance is to allow old engines to be brought back into sensible use. It is not designed to apply to all engines - otherwise we would have people using the allowance on brand new engines.....!

This was specifically done with crossflows in mind - as you know an extremely old engine design that in a Caterham needs a rebuild after 20k miles... It is not envisaged that this would apply to more recent engine designs - including the 8V 1600 VX. I guess its one for Mark and I to think about - but at present everyone should assume the rebore allowance applies only to Crossflows - thats why its there!

Brian

Chip;

Supers do indeed use 1b tyres in the races. But there's nothing to stop us changing to something else for the sprints (that's how I've been running in class 2 for the last 3 years *smile* - even I can change a set of wheels over! 😳)

The difference this year is that class 1 restrictions have been relaxed a bit cos the numbers have been dropping off; supers/academy cars are allowed in as long as the engine is unchanged from academy/supers spec and they are using 1a's.

R

Brian,

Thanks for the clarification on the rebore query, yes you are right that the Vauxhall engine does seem to be pretty durable so I think at the moment it is right for only the Crossflow engine to be allowed. This might need to be looked at again in the future when somebody will want to rebuild their Vx engine.

Charles

Charles...it was PARKED and I wasn't in it either..... *mad* *mad*..I have it back now and it really looks in fine fettle, thanks to Chris at Se7en Workshop....I'll be interested with the comments when class 1 see my wheels

The conversion is going to have to take a back seat I'm afraid....you seem to go better than 100bhp....I'm obviously not committed/talented enough *confused* *eek* *confused*

Gordy