Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel choice

Roadsport06

Thanks for far to all the replys, Richard Price, I think that I will go for the 14" as the cost to get the 13" and the suspension is a little too high for my wallet! I went for the 1.8 at an extra £1000, a 1.6 would have been more costly for the upgrades so I thought the 1.8 was the better choice. As you said, I can still upgrade suspension at a later date.

Tom_C I was told the same at CC Midlands. That the suspension would be too low for 13" and if I wanted 13" then the suspension would need platforms etc at a cost of about £1k if I remember correctly. I thought that this was a bit too much for just having smaller wheels. Although once I have the car I might end up saying that I could have had it done in the first place and not wasted my money on 14" in the first place.

JimChap are the rears slightly wider with the 14" then (185/60-front 195/60-rear)?

james

question gets more complex as you get more replys (not necessarily answers 😬)

my SLR came with original 13" split rims which i've used on road with ACB10's without difficulty over speed humps (but car is dry-sumped), but also a set of 15" compomotives with potenza SO2's which i now use on road / winter without any change to ride height / set-up quite happily although i'm sure this is 1.) lazy 2.) not optimal

however, it's very obvious what you're paying for when you lift them back up onto the trailer wheel rack *eek*

sure your planned use will change over time 😬

jerry

• 3 weeks later...

James,

The rears are 195 and thefronts 185. I had the car out yesterday on it's new shoes and it felt really good but unfortunately the road got a bit wet, salty and greasy in parts when I got out in the country so I curtailed the run and will have to wait until it warms up a bit to really give them a good try. They look good though !!

The main issue is really down to what tyres you want and what you want to use the car for. If it's predominantly road use, I'd go for 15 inch wheels with Scudo stunners if you're on a budget (not tried these but heard alot of good) or CR500's - a great combination on the 15 inch wheel. Works well on the track too.

If you want the most out of a track car, go for 13 inch wheels - but having tried 15 CR500's back to back with 13 inch slicks, I can honestly say that the 15 inch wheels with CR500's is a great combination, and is very good on the road too - especially as the slight increase in ground clearance is very handy.

If you want to go for 14", go for softer rubber like Yoko 021's or 048's rather than Michelins and I'm sure it will be plenty good enough.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 9 Jan 2006 17:28:40