Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel choice

Roadsport06

I have ordered a 1.8k with standard front suspension and 14 inch wheels (185 front and rear I believe). Just wandering (perhaps upgraditis before I even have the car!?) what peoples views were for these in normal road use and whether there are any other 14" options that would be worth getting, perhaps before getting the car so I just get the one set.

Any views greatly received.

Personally, I would change them - but a spare set (of 4) 13" Minators (the 'standard' fit 13"ers) will set you back something like £200-250ish s/h or £300 delivered new from Tyresave

There's plenty in the archives about why you might want to change to 13"s - basically it reduces the unsprung weight and is generally regarded to improve handling.

There are reasons for and against though - there are some excellent high-performance tyres available in 13" (CR500s, ACB10s, Yoko 48s etc. etc.) but there aren't that many 'cooking' tyres left these days. I was told by Bridgestone (when they discontinued the excellent RE720s in 13") that very-few mainstream vehicles have 13s these days - and so the tyre manufacturers are rationalising their product-lines in favour of bling sizes.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

james

go for 13" - much better feel and you can maintain similar rolling radius by going for 185 70 profile tyres which will give you a better choice of tyres and cheaper too.

Plenty of archives on tyre choice but favourites seem to be Yokohama 21, 32 or 48.

Best buy location is george polley motorsport

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

• Area Representative

Caterham don't appear to consider the 14" wheels and tyres have a significant value.

All the current listed options seem to value the 14" wheels and tyres at about £130 (for 5 wheels and tyres!)

Do you want to spend an extra £1375- £1575?

What are you going to use the car for?

I'd have the 14" wheels and tyres then make your mind up later, when you know what you're going to use the car for.

• Support Team

Aah..well spotted - that's a bit more reasonable then. I guess you need the adjustable platforms to deal with the change in ride height caused by the different sized wheels.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 16 Dec 2005 08:24:25

I was told that at least adjustable platforms are needed to get the ride height back.

CC Midlands offered to sort 13" eight spokes, CR500s and platforms without the widetrack suspension for about £1100 inc fitting when I enquired.

Tom.

• Area Representative

Tom,

Is that £1100 on top of the kit price, or as an upgrade of an existing car?

Adding the prices up on the online parts store, 5 wheels and tyres (13x6 and CR500's) and adjustable platforms comes to £1112.

If James' primary use for the car is road/touring use, then a set of 15" ten spokes, but with a normal road tyre rather than CR500's may be a better option.

As a quick road tyre, the Stunner Scudo at less than £40 a corner make an attractive option (and faster than any CR500 at a very wet Llandow for the clubs sprint last August, setting FTD and 3rd and 4th overall ! and not bad in the dry either!)

• Area Representative
Wouldn't 15" wheels give a very harsh ride?

I've been running 195/45-15's, and yes, the ride is harsher than the 185/60-13's that I pereviously ran. However, 195/50-15's are cheaper and give a better ride.

There is also a plentiful supply of tyres available in the 195/50-15 size.

The 195/50-15 wheel and tyre combination is also about the same rolling diameter as 185/60-14's, so theres no need for adjustable platforms.

Nothing wrong with 15" particularly if you are wanting cost effective (list 1a) tyres. 195x50 15" is now a common standard tyre size for saloons so the selection of good 'cooking' tyres is far better than for the smaller 13" rims. Whilst not necessarily the absolute last word in Seven tyres, Toyo Proxes, Bridgestone RE720 and Stunners all come in at a much lower price than CR500 etc.

I changed from std 14" Avons to 15" Proxes T1S in 195/50 size this year and the ride is slightly harsher,more precise but with much more grip. That's with a factory supplied superlight suspension pack on a Roadsport. The advantage with that is that the rolling radius is nerly bang on the std 14" tyre (for the speedo reading) and the cycle wings look significantly fuller.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

I managed to pick up a set of new 13" minator type wheels and Toyo Proxes R888 (185 60 R13) tyres for £550 all-in a couple of months ago from Midland Wheels in Southam, Warks.

I went from 16" HPC wheels down to 13" wheels on standard suspension on my 1400SS and as yet have had no problems with ride height etc.

For that sort of money it might be worth having the 14"'s the car comes with, wearing the tyres out a bit getting used to the car, then change to 13" if you fancy it later on.

I noticed a pretty big difference in the handling. Steering much lighter, more grip and much more comfortable ride. Also saved 4kg per corner in weight.

Only problem I had was cr#p customer service but couldn't complain about the price.

Adam

1400ss 6sp

I think I have stirred up something here.

I went throught the pricelisting and the 14" were standard but 13" included the quite expensive superlight suspension. Would 13" not be too low for road use (speed bumps etc) and so require the superlight? It just seemed too steep a price to pay (around £1500) for 13" and superlight suspension

• Area Representative

James,

the 175/55-13 CR500's are quite low profile, but you may getaway with out adjustable platforms (but it's a bit of a risk!).

The Superlight suspension also includes wide track. In real terms, I don't think wide track makes a lot of difference. I run narrow track, and am quite competitive on the club sprints.

I repeat, I'd go with the 14" wheels, and make your own mind up when you know how you are going to use the car!

Adjustable platforms are useful, but not essential - if you find you want them at a later date, then the upgrade cost is the same as buying them in the first place.

Save your money now, and see how and what you use the car for.

I have had my 1.8 Roadsport SV for about 1 year now. It came with the CC current standard tyre for this model which is 14" (x 5) minators shod with 185/60/R14 Avon ZV3s. I have done about 3000 miles during the year (since march) and although the ZV3's are reasonable and very hard wearing (no wear at all) the grip was not brilliant (especially if slightly damp) and they obviously are a very hard compound which is fine for touring.

Recently with winter approaching my thoughts turned, as they do, to how I could improve the car over the winter months and I did the necessary research on tyres/wheels see below :

1. CC quoted me some 925 pounds for 13"- 5 x 185/45 CR500 tyres + 8 spoke rims and 1057 pounds for 15"- 5 x 195/45 CR500s tyres + 10 spoke rims. A bit expensive !!

2. Without changing the wheels with the tyres (to 13" or 15") the tyre options are a more limited for 14" rims (no CR500 option) but I did not want to fork out some 500 pounds for a set of rims. I therfore went with the 14" Yoko AO48Rs option which appears from the Blatchat info to be a good grippy tyre.

3. Steve Polley quoted me about 80 pounds/tyre for 185/60 /14 AO48s (incl delivery) and about 90 pounds for 195/60/14s, which they recomended for the rear. Tyres would then need to be fitted and balanced.

4. I found a local supplier Auti-Image in Edinburgh which could supply the same things (fitted and balanced)for 84 pounds for the 185s and 95 for the 195s. Total cost for 4 = 358 Pounds

5. I decided to go with only 4 of these and make my luggage rack removeable (use Tyre Weld instead). I can always put back on the ZV3s (+ rack) if i want to do any long tours

I have not had the car out on its new shoes as yet as I am still carrying out some winter maintenance but I am looking forward to seeing how the handling improves.