Click here if you are having website access problems ×

which exhaust for an SV

neil.cavanagh

Looking at the upgrade budget...

what exhaust should I go for to upgrade from my nasty 4-1 (inside engine bay) CC jobbie.

I want something that will be suitable for tuning upto 200Bhp (current 140 xpower cheese block), but that will also make noise restrictions at goodwood and donnington...

budget upto £500. Will fit myself...

Neil,

you have a few options

If you want the caterham route, then get the R400 primaries and the big (7"??) R500 silencer.

Ammo will do you a nice Titanium Can the will be quiet. Cost may be a bit more. You will need primaries.

Powerspeed will do you a system complete, and on the whole they have had favourable reports.

EBD / hayward & Scott and a whole host of others will custom make you a zorst system complete at varying levels of £££'s

All company details are in the archives...

• Support Team

4-2-1 slightly better for mid range torque, 4-1 slightly better for top end power. Have a look at Dave Andrews site here for some info on lengths and diameters.

On my (non-SV) car I have gone for the Caterham VHPD 4-2-1 system which includes primaries, collector and 7" (i.e. quiet) silencer for £595+VAT. My engine made 227bhp and 167lbft with this system and is much quieter than my previous engine with 5" silencer. I think Caterham do an SV version. The only downside is that is not repackable but given the value of the complete system (primaries and collector individually would be £100 each - i.e. £500+VAT) then if it ever needs repacking I'll either have it modified to make it repackable or buy a Raceco.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 15 Dec 2005 11:19:32

Neil,

ISTR that Delbert came very, *very* close to the Donny noise limit with his brand-new CC system - and that was with an untuned 1.8 140 X-power engine.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the primaries etc., but to protect against future engine upgrades, a different can might be advisable.

I'm sure Delbert can confirm/deny.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Niel,

Mines the "VHPD" system £595inc theft and delivery from CC

Its off the shelf mine came the next day.

It has passed Donny twice now the highest reading being 97.4 Db at full chat on drive by.

It worked out as the cheapest , readily available system.

The Powerspeed system was a tenner or so cheaper but they made to order

Race Co was the same price minus the Primaries

The system has made a difference specially low down

Freelance Ferret sexer and general sloth for hire

Cheers guys!

No reply to my emails for CC and Powerspeed yet. I guess they are not in a mad rush to sell stuff!!

Sounds like the CC one might be the way to go. I'll chase them up tomorrow...

I think I'll have to go for the full 7", if nothing else just to put Delbert in his place! 😬 😬 😬

Its not how big its how you use it , age and experiance over impetuious youth 😬

You will still have a way to go though to catch up

All I will say is if you are really serious I suggest you have a chat to Dave Andrews and Scholar 😬 😬

Freelance Ferret sexer and general sloth for hire

Edited by - Delbert on 15 Dec 2005 18:18:05

Well, powerspeed have responded with good info.

They say they can do the 'silencer part in 2" tube work internally' to help with noise limits.

Any thoughts on this? Its a few quid extra option.

Otherwise the picture they sent shows that is very spangley and shiney which is of cause a bonus! 😬 😬 😬

Also, if I went for the CC system, is there any downside to the 7" can over the 6"? Does it ultmately limit power?

They say they can do the 'silencer part in 2" tube work internally' to help with noise limits.

Any thoughts on this? Its a few quid extra option.

A couple of months ago someone (can't remember who) posted that this made a big difference to the measured noise level. I have the powerspeed system, which overall I'm very pleased with. I don't have the extra pipe - it was measured at 95db @ Abingdon last week *smile* (otherwise standard 1.6 K SS). I had mine fitted by Dave @ powerspeed - he did an excellent job IMO

(fx: quick search) It was oldbutnotslow - here

Dave

• Support Team

Don't see why a larger silencer should limit power. The tube through the middle is the same diameter - there is just more packing material around it which improves the sound deadening. I guess if you tried the two silencers back to back there might be a tiny difference between them but it doesn't seem to have done my power output any harm and I know of a couple of other high power K's that use the 7" can with no apparent ill effects.

The down side is for your passengers as its a bu**er to step over! Surpisingly though it doesn't ground on speed humps as my previous 5" silencer did.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I had the same question to CC for my 140 SV end September this year. Simon Lmabert came back with the following :

(quote) There are two " competition" exhaust options for your car, which are as follows ;

VHPD system - used on the 165bhpVVC model SV

4-2-1 system, no cat - 595 pounds + VAT

4-1 ssytem, with Cat - 810 pounds + VAT

R500 system - used on R300/R400/R500 model SVs

4-1 big bore, repackable large diameter silencer, polished system, no cat - 810 pounds +VAT

4-1 big bore, repackable large diameter silencer, polished system with cat - 1042.55 + VAT

If you go for the Cat option, this is in lieu of the straight through collector that you get when you don't have it . This can be purchased as well (or visa versa) - it is a straight swap.

In both cases fitting, including cutting the new hole in the side panel is about 3 hours at 54 pounds / hour + VAT. (end quote)

works out quite expensive whatever route you go !!!

Its a competitive market for exhausts so I would suggest also calling around those already mentioned. EBD recently did mine and Graham offered a very good price for a 4-2-1, polished SS, Boss, 7inch repackable (polished) can etc.He fitted it (including enlarging side skin hole) and adapted my old cat/can for refit come MOT.

Sounds much better than my old 4-1 (inside body) and must have added to the improved pull in mid range, although I have had DVA attention to the engine so cannot isolate the improvement of the zorst alone 😬

SL No.174

Member No.109xx *cool* Pictures here