Click here if you are having website access problems ×

chassis mod

metal mickey

Mickey,

Look at my website to see what happens even if you have the Swiss (300bhp Turbo VX) diff mounts installed!

The Swiss Mounts use 16 gauge diagnals in the rear bulkhead, and the top diff mounts are linked by a plate.

Critical assesments you need to make are:

Year of chassis (There is considerable variance in stregth here)

Will you fit a full cage

HP of engine

Type/Size of Clutch

Width/compound of grippiest tyres you intend to use

Tpre of use (hillclimbing, standing starts, doughnuts etc. will no doubt have a great effect on chassis longevity)

I have not managed to damage my chassis since Arch built the rear bulkhead and tunnel of 14/12 gauge (std 18) and added 6 small tubes around the diff. There is an obvious weight penalty here, but I think this is what is needed to contain the various forces.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Thanks Arnie,vary interesting!! My car hasn't got the power of yours (approx 235bhp) but I thought i'd do the work while the car is completely stripped down. Any chance of a few pickys of your chassis after Arch repaired it ? You could mail me direct if possible. My car is a 1990 Dedion if it makes any difference.

Thanks, Mike

Mickey,

The pics I have do not really show the repair with any clarity as they were taken when the car had been reassembled.

Suffice to say Bruce Robinson is the man to talk to at Arch, he'll describe whaat was doen to my chassis and make recommendations as to how to modify yours.

On a 1990 Di Dion, the bits to strengthen (increase gauge) are the 4 tubes linking the diff mountings to the cruciform in the tunnel, the tubes supporting the top diff bushes should also be triangulated and linked with a few plates. That should easily withstand 235bhp.

I'm not totally conviced its purely the BHPor torque which causes the problem, and I am more inclined to think it is the shock loading (torque reaction) the clutch imposes on the diff unit if you use a very snappy unsprung clutch assy.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>