Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How to remove & can it be powder coated

Mark Ferguson

Hi Everyone,

currently taking more & more bits off my car for winter re-fresh & want some info/help on the following bits.

Have taken off the vertical piece of bodywork that is in the engine side of the car under the windscreen, heater attached to it, & also want to take the horizontal piece off, heater & ecu sits on it.

The horizontal piece seems to be attached with rivets on the fold down piece in the engine bay & rivets/allen key type screws on the back end piece, it also hides its ends under the side skins.

Can i just remove the rivets & special screws & pull it away from either side or is it riveted under the side skins as well ???. it also appears bonded to the 2 chassis rails which run through the transmission tunnel, does this just pull up???

Also, when i remove these bits can they be powder coated instead of paint sprayed ???

Is the powder coat that caterham use any particular colour of black ???

& lastly, where can i buy black pop rivets from & what type & size are they plse

Replies gratefully recieved & a big thanks.

Happy Xmas & New Year to everyone in the club *thumbup*

The verticle bit comes off with the scuttle. Remove w/s & any wires, undo 2 nuts at each side of the scuttle, drill out 1 rivet either side of scutle. Undo w/s wiper spindle nuts & disconnect washer jet. Pull scuttle off. It'll probably have a good dollop of silicone so it takes a bit of force. Careful you don't distort it.

Horizontal bit is a little more difficult as it is under the sideskins plus the steering column support will have to be removed. You'll probably have to remove the master cylinder as well. So once that's all done & all the rivets drilled out it can be removed & either powder coated of painted.

Personally I would get it sprayed satin/matt black in situ as it'll probably be easier; or get the alloy polish out

I'd get the polish out

Black pop rivets are available from Caterham.

Mark

Richard Lee aka Richard in France sells black pop rivets. He's in the midst of a relocation to Scotland just now so may not be around as regularly as normal. The alternative is at www.prifast.co.uk. I've used them before and service is A1 and they are priced reasonably and postage is not a rip off opportunity. *cool*

Prifast also do a structural rivet which is stronger than the standard open ended rivet. I don't think you'll need the extra strength unless you use the car on track. Don't use the peel rivets they're Cr&p

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon