Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SV chassis problem

David Hydes

We are building an SV with VVC engine and 5 speed box. The engine and gear box are now fitting snuggly in the chassis the engine mountings are bolted down BUT the gear box bracket is about 25mm too far forward of where it should be, while the gear box filling hole would be impossible to get at it where any further back.

Anybody any comments please.

Apologies if this messge appears twice, I had a problem with registering.

David

Chelspeed is right about the filler. I filled my gearbox from the top with the plate removed.

The five speed box I have has a 25mm / 1 inch spacer between the bellhousing and box. Do you have this? This may be why your gearbox rear mount is not aligned.

AMMO

Hi Chelspeed & Ammo

Thanks for your prompt replies. They reassured me I hadn't turned myself into a Christmas turkey.

(1)Looks like the best way to fill the gear box will be when the engine is level and the gear box is on the propshaft and immediately before it is moved back onto the mounting points.

(2) Ammo is yours an SV chassis ? I do not have the spacer in my kit and there is know mention of it in the assembly guide.

Cheers

David

David

Mine is a 1989 De Dion. The spacer, if it's on your gearbox, may not be apparent. It's an aluminium plate between the cast iron bell housing and gearbox case. Also I think that the gearboxes which have the spacer have a longer input shaft.

Hopefully someone who has more specific knowledge may be able to help you.

AMMO

David,

This might be a red herring, 'cos I can't quite remember since I last had the engine out...but, does it make any difference to the position of the gearbox mounting holes if you have the mounting the wrong way round i.e. not properly fitting into the chamfer on the gearbox casing - I know I've attempted to fit this wrongly myself in the past.

Paul

You can always cut an access hole in the transmission tunnel and fit a large rubber gromet afterwards. I have always managed to fill my box using a length of 10mm micro bore copper tubing as used for central heating plumbing and a washing up bottle. It makes life easier to leave the gear box mount undone you can then move the box to one side in the tunnel and using a cut down 10mm allen key undo the filler plug. Its also easier if you heat the oil before attempting to poor it in.

I had this problem with my SV...

I modified the gearbox/chassis mounting rubber by extending the holes by around 18mm towards the front of the mounting plate. The remaining slack can be taken up by slackening off the engine mounting bolts until you can get the brackets lined up with the mounts on the chassis rail. (Don't forget to attach the earth strap to the mount before doing this - else you will have to undo it all again!)

The tech support people were not much help, but it seems that this modification is being made to factory built cars...

Miraz