Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Upgrading the VVC

Mike Kirby

I have a 6-speed VVC with anti-cav and am currently looking at sourcing a replacement to the standard exhaust system with a configuration that has longer primaries. I am also considering changes that I could make to the induction. However, I am not very experienced mechanically and would like to know whether I could buy, and fit, direct-to-head throttle bodies without replacing the existing MEMS ECU. If I have to replace the ECU are there any available that support the VVC (i.e. plug compatible without ditching the VVC mechanicals)? I would like to make these changes in small increments if possible due to limitations in my time and experience.

Any advice gratefully received,

Mike.

EDB exhausts by design can sort you with the exhaust. It is necessary to change the ECU when fitting throttle bodies and here opens a can of worms, in that the ECU will have to operate the VVC mechanism. AFAIK there isn`t an ECU available that will do this at the moment, Karl at Emerald is working to this end but when it will be finished I don`t know. The only other option is to junk the VVC mechanism and fit some hot cams and a VVC blanking kit 200 ish BHP is then available.

If you're prepared to junk the VVC mechanism and fit some solid cams (plus a load of other stuff), the world is your oyster. This is because the VVC has a big valve head as standard and can be modified for serious power figs.

Basically, with a VVC, you should either do almost nothing or go the whole hog.

Take heed of the advice from Roger and Rob. The VVC mechanism is mechanically complex and part of a complete design package to give a power band suitable for the MGF 'roadster' while meeting emission requirements. It is, or should be, rev limited just because of the cam timing mechanisms.

It is not a design that is sensible to modify incrementally. If you have got to the standard where the car is limiting the driver's performance, rather than the reverse, as in my case, then one big job would need to be done during which the 3 cam shafts would be replaced and the VVC devices dumped.

Mike.

Having just 'upgraded' a V V C head I can recommend the Piper Cams set up. This uses carriers that do away with all the 'junk' and uses good old solid cams (Just a pair!). The Emerald ecu works with this set-up very well. I have retained the hydraulic followers to save shimming aggro and used the Piper BP285H cams.(With porting mods, D2H TB's etc it gave 202BHP).

Speak to Warren Johnson at Piper if you are serious about the mods!