Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ND crack testing

Englishmaninwales

Unless you can get it X-Ray'd, you'll probably need to have ALL the powdercoat removed before testing.

Penetrant Dye will be OK (I suppose that's what you meant by white powder).

There is a similar process using a machine to magnetize it and then a liquid containing magnetic particals is washed over it.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Mag particle would be suitable for the steel component only. Dye penetrant could be used for steel and aluminium. Both would require significant preparation to a good finish such as sand blast or abrasive cleaning with scotchbrite mops etc. If there was an area of particular concern and you can get good access by using a pit, you may be able to carry out a loacalised inspection without removing the tube eg around damper bushes.

To be honest Malcolm, if it is concerning you enough to dismantle the car for inspection, it may be better to view the axle tube components as a 'lifed' items and renew them for your own peace of mind.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Thanks for the replies.

Ian/ Thinforth:

All the rear suspension and dedion tube are on the workbench to have all bushes renewed (and diff also out to fit an LSD). Although there are no obvious signs of cracks ( it is the earlier through tube fixing for the damper which I gather lasts longer than the later type), I was interested in the feasibility/cost effectiveness in crack testing.

As you say, maybe treating the tube as a 'lifed' item (now 45k miles) and simply replacing the item is simpler!!

Malcolm