Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Watts linkage kit for VX race Caterham

Jonathan Hall

There's a diagram in the build manual. They just replace the upper radius arm between the de dion tube and the chassis.

Do you mean you have a modern, post about 1998, chassis with the mounts fitted and want to change from radius rods to watts linkage or what?

Caterham sell the watts linkage kit for about 300 quid, provided you have the chassis mounts fitted. Are you trying to make your own to save cash? There are 4 rose joints in the kit which probably make a fair portion of the 300 quid. I'd be surprised if you could make your own significantly cheaper than 300 quid.

If you don't have the chassis mounts then thats harder, Arch will want to remove the body panels to fit them so that's serious expense. I made my own for pennies using scrap tube but it was fairly time consuming.

Do you have to run watts? Or are you looking for an advantage over the radius arms? Consencus of opinion from the Caterham racers is that it's of marginal benefit, the tuneability of the radius arms more than makes up for the theoretical benefits of significantly reducing passive rear steer.

Thanks lads for the advice; I am about to remove and have a new rear panel made, thats why I thought to mod the back-end with the linkage (I have engineering support/sponsor from Serco Aerospace). Do you know anything about QUAIFE A.T.B. differentials for our race cars.

Cheers Jonathan.Hall@computerweekly.net

RHmotorsport Oxford

If the rear panels off then definetly add the watts mouniting points, it'll weigh almost nothing and give you the option of radius arms or watts in the future.

Quaife diffs have the reputation for breaking drive shafts in race cars only, something to do with persistent kerb-hopping and wheels in the air spinning up to full speed then breaking driveshafts when they land again. Look in the archives.

Graham,

Sorry to disagree(again....), but isn't the AP Suretrack diff which is problematic and tends to break gearboxes???

The Quaife T/Biasing diff simply does not work in a Seven except in a straight line!

My reference to the handling improvemnt on the VX is due to the rear passive steer improving turn in when the car gets a little body roll.

Jonathan, - The ZF Plate type is the one top go for in a Seven.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>