Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

IMPORTANT- external clutch slave cylinder.

EFA

Anyone got qa piccy of the new "pull" type slave cylinder which retains the clutch lever in the bellhousing but also allows hydraulic actuation????

Maybe its only on LHD cars, but a little bird told me its also on the latest type RHD as well.....??????

Edited by - EFA on 7 Dec 2005 19:11:26

I have such a set up, it does'nt matter if its LHD or RHD, if only i had a digital camera i could take a pic.

I made a little extension to the slave cil. because it was to short to reach the clutch lever and took off the edge on the clutch lever because a cable head is smaller than the halfround nut on the slave axe.

Arnie,

I can take a photo tomorrow, have just brought my set to the garage, which is 6 miles from my home.

If it's of any use to you, you can have it for the same price as you are to pay for the poor gearbox nose I sent to you...

The invoice said something like "VX race cars" *confused*

I bought the kit intending to use it bar the slave cylinder, which is a very nice anodised thing...

But still a heavy setup...

/regin

Edited by - RJ on 7 Dec 2005 20:41:41

I've just finished building a new 1.8 V V C Roadsport. This came with an hydraulic clutch - I think all the other Roadsports come with cable clutches. The Assembly Guide was a little 'sparse' on how to fit the slave, and forgot some basics such as the need to remove the ruber gusset, add a number of penny washers etc. That said, it all seems to work now and all 7 gears (6 forward, 1 reverse) are easy to engage. I doubt a photo would help much - all you'd really see would be the slave cylinder body - everything else if concealed by the rubber cover over the bellhousing access hole.

Tim B

You're welcome Arnie,

Having looked at Andrew's photos (and wondering why I didn't take more meyself when building) - I confirm I had to insert around 5 penny washers between the blue slave cylinder and the yellow nylon 'sleeve' - without the washers the clutch didn't move enough and wouldn't change gear.

Tim B

What are the advantages in having hydraulic clutch actuation? The guy who supplied the pics mentions frequent cable breakages. My car is 12 years old & still on it's original cable. The engine's out (& so is everything else ) & I'm wondering whether to fit a new cable or continue with old faithful.

Mick,

I have a small 5.5" Quartermaster race clutch which can cope with 600ft'lbs of torque. Consequently the springs are much firmer and a cable would break very quickly. Any clutch whish is not a derivative of a std road clytch is generally reckoned to require hydraulic rather than cable actuation.