Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Undertrays...

terrysecker

Terry old bean,

I made a front one which extended right back to the footwells and gave the car a near flat underside except above the prop and around the sump.

This led to lots of issues evacuating the air through the rad out of the top of the nose/bonnet, which became impossible at the moment as I need to integrate a bulkhead behind the steering rack to push the air up out of the vents I made in the top of the nose.

As it is, with undertray fitted, the bonnet leading edge lifts on the spring fasters at anything over about 80mph!

At the rear, filling the two triangular sections and the centre of the A frame contribute to reducing drag under the car and improve top end acceleration/vmax.

IMO the undertrays do nothing rearward from the leading edge of the fuel tank (where most of them attach to the chassis) although the Freestyle one does make a very nice cup/tool holder when working under the car.

Edited by - EFA on 7 Dec 2005 18:03:55

The Freestyle one is a fantastic bit of kit, keeps the back of the car clean too
It may keep the car clean but it does nothing for the diff which just gets hotter.

Stuart: how does the Caterham short front tray fit to the chassis?

Edited by - Mick Day on 7 Dec 2005 20:24:20

The Caterham undertray has holes pre-drilled in it and fits to the chassis rails with rivets or self tappers, depending on your preference.

Having seen them come off in race situations (didn't mind myself as it meant I gained a place 😬), I would recommend rivets!

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary

My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

The CC short front-undertray can be seen here.

Mine was self-tappered on when i got it, but the ST's gradually lost interest.

My homebuilt full-undertray here is zip-tied on (all over the place) - but benefits from a front lip that curls over the top of the front chassis bar. At worst (if all the zip-ties bust), the tray will drag from the front.

Both solutions (tappers and ties) are a PITA when it comes to removing the damned things (OK ties are easy if you are prepared to sacrifice them) - mind you, rivets would be worse...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

You say the Freestyle rear undertray is a fantastic bit of kit. Does it have a noticable effect on the cars handling/performance

Not that I can tell *cool* but when I run over a line of concrete dust put down to cover an oil line on the Hanger straight, I definatley made the biggest cloud *thumbup*

A7 RDP

pics here

Edited by - Tight fart on 8 Dec 2005 13:15:53

Ask Foxy Smith (brookhsenursery@aol.com) to make you up one in ali...

He does them as a two piece kit i.e. the front covers belts and sump and the rear if from the A frame backwards. If you want pics, give Alan a ring (01444 892555) though I think they are away until Saturday.

Have a front one leaning against the side of my desk, so I could take a pic if you send me your e-address.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Guys, there will be an article in Low Flying shortly.

Please note Reverie have rear undertrays for both SV and std chassis.

They are beautifully made and can be fitted for you at Reverie in Colchester. Simon at Reverie on 01206 212423 could not be more helpful

I have a metal powdercoated front undertray, and carbon rear. MOG also make carbon front ones.

Not too certain about aerodynamical benefits, but it can only help. It also keeps the car clean too !

Anthony

Myles,

If you want to buy something once sometimes you need to pay a bit more *wink*

I have lost count of cheaper solutions which have now found themselves filed under b1N.

Reverie got mine right and fitted it which was great.

They could not have been more helpful and bent over backwards to make sure everything was right. To be fair MOG and K9 have been equally brilliant.

Other suppliers ( outside carbon ) have in my view lost the art of looking after a customer - Swindon, 7 Workshop, MOG, Reverie, K9 are notable exceptions in my view. I am not going to lost the ones not on my good supplier list.

Ant

On the subject of only buying something once:

"There is hardly anything in this world which some man cannot make a little

worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price alone are

this mans lawful prey, as it's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that's all. When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little & getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin (1890)

For those with the rear undertrays/diffusers that seal to the back of the car where is the air going that's coming through the tunnel ? This would obviously be made worse if a front undertray is fitted although wouldn't be a problem if a vented nosecone was fitted.

Anthony Abatellio has just done a lot of work on my car along these lines. I'll look to post a few pictures shortly.

Home of BDR700