Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Standard seatbelts

Al Crickmore

You can take them out.

Technically they're not legal (as you have to be able to do them up with one hand! Quality rules we have!!) but in 5 years and several chats with the nice boys in blue (just admiring the motor, honest) I've never had the belts mentioned.

Besides, if you try hard enough and loosen them before hand it is just about possible to do them with one hand smile.gif.

Al.

It's the weather! The incredible shrinking tonneau (and hood) syndrome is well known!

I have both the racing harness and the lap & diagonal in place and the cover fits over 'em all. It is A LOT more difficult in this weather though. Try 'stretching' it by taking the tonneau indoors to get it warm and pliable, then rush outside and stretch it into position. Leave to cool down then serve on a plate, oops, leave to cool down! The longer the better. This may help it fit with that drum tightness which is reproducable ie. it'll go back on again without the need for this fuss.

ps. I find the lap/diagonal very useful for law compliance if I'm just taking it for a quick round-the-block run to sort out 'X' or 'Y' etc. More freedom to lean forward etc to hear the rattles, squeaks,and the like.Quicker to put on too!

Chris,

I wish it were that simple. I suspect it's either not the original kit (Tonneau & Roof) OR it's shrunk beyond belief OR the car is bent. I've tried the old 'keep it in the warm' trick and no matter how quickly I run out to the car it still won't go on. Bugger it.

And as far as hearing rattles and things, I can hear all of those quite nicely from where I sit!! wink.gif

Edited by - al crickmore on 28 Dec 2001 14:50:43

Aren't we all Chris.

Are they supposed to fit then? smile.gif I have my doubts.

I'm waiting for summer yes (just a tad). The thing is I only need them to fit in the winter in order to keep the neighbours stupid f******g cat off of the seats!!! It's either that or I go against my strong beliefs regarding animal cruelty....

Edited by - al crickmore on 29 Dec 2001 11:52:25

I love cats (nearly said pussy there, but didn't want "Twack" round ear from Suzi Seven).

BUT................ if it's 'interfering' with the Seven, then a plastic replica BB gun is the answer. The 6mm balls don't hurt unless shot at very close range but, well, you get the idea.

No, I'm NOT into cruelty to animals; far from it. It's just that my Cat(erham) is important to ME, so there!tongue.gif

This business about full harnesses being illegal due to them not being able to be done up with one hand isn't true.

As I understand it, and I don't have chapter and verse in front of me, they must be able to be UNDONE with one hand. This makes much more sense and of course makes them legal.

Hi Paul

My recollection is that the requirement is to do up one handed. The powers that be thought it would sensible because of the danger of people driving off without belts done up, and then needing two hands to do them up while on the move.

Another case of the p*****ks who write our legislation catering for the morons. And thus ending up with a piece of legislation that means that the safer racing harness is technically illegal. --- because we might forget to do it up, and then crash while trying.

Yet another reason why I hold politicians in such low esteem!!!!!

The good thing about it is that a lot of agencies that could technically rule our cars illegal realise that its all a load of b*****ks and ignore the ruling.

John Gathard

I don't know for absolute certain, but when seat belts were introduced, I assume that if they were fitted to a car at MOT time they had to work (much like, side repeaters, fog lights etc). Lots of cars had non rigid receivers, rather than the rigid stemmed items most cars have now. Even early C******m's had the receivers attached to floppy seat belt webbing. I'm assumnig they all passed, but you certainly couldn't do 'em up one handed......