Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tracking adjustment

JP

You could get a false reading if you adjust the camber or castor settings, but that assumes you wouldn't re-measure the car once all adjustments are complete. Being the sensible chap you are, I'm sure you know to re-settle the car and re measure once the adjustments are complete. I doubt that castor is set to "zero".

Besides, if the adjustment of camber or castor doesn't interfere with the position of the part of the car you use to establish a datum line (ie the hub centres, or a measurement from a chassis rail) then the answer would be no. You just have some more maths to do......unless I've missed somethingblush.gifwink.gif

Edited by - Blatman on 29 Dec 2001 19:26:27

Blatters,

(Just got in from the pub) but, unless I've got this string square thing cpompletely wrong, if you measure the distance from horizontal string to the wheel rim front and back, won't these be different if there is castor AND camber other than zero? ( OR is this taken account of in the setting up of toe?)

{if the castor was zero then whatever the camber value, the distance from string to wheel rim would be identical front and back if toe is zero and string is horizontal. If there is a castor angle, then the axis of the (negative) camber effect is rotated by the castor angle, giving a (shorter) distance from string the wheel rim at the front or leading edge of the wheel)

I this is crap please say so and I will respond tomoorrow when sober again.

James.

Er......the string system does not allow you to measure camber or castor, only the effect that altering camber or castor has on tracking/toe settings. If adjusting the castor alters the tracking (I don't see how, as the upper ball joint should not be moving laterally, but.......), you are able to re-set the tracking. Same applies for camber. You cannot measure camber with string, unless you want to work out how to run a vertical plumb line.........

(Just got in from the pub) but, unless I've got this string square thing cpompletely wrong, if you measure the distance from horizontal string to the wheel rim front and back, won't these be different if there is castor AND camber other than zero? ( OR is this taken account of in the setting up of toe?)

If the distances from the wheel rim to the string are different on the same wheel, then you have either toe in or toe out. Ie if the front part of the rim is further from the string than the rear, then you are toeing in. The reverse is applicale for toe out. If the measurments match, you have parallel tracking (which is my preference for the road). There are no other measurements you can make.............