Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Race Car engineering - Millington Diamond

Jason Plato

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

RSTV8 will be a lot quicker than Millington YB engine.

Pete, why not pop in and see Russell ( all these chaps worked together at Hart - Steve G too ;-))

Give it a little time and RSTV8 will have some heritage too, but no point waiting for that if you want a really powerful light engine

Demo engine has done 24+k and none of that has been gentle :-)

No bulge required in SV and as Mike says a ducted system would be ideal for std chassis.

Anthony

Biased of Cambridge

Anthony I know the RST unit has the potential to blow us all away but I wouldn't go telling people to buy it until it proves it can. I've seen nothing so far to persuade me to buy one whether it be properly timed performances or dyno plots.

Home of BDR700

I shall have raced the RST at Paul Ricard, 3 hours race, beginning of November. Everything was planned & setup but despite huge efforts of Chris & Motopower, the car was not ready to be picked up until one day before the event... 🙆🏻

They had problems with the loom, alternator, ECU, to name but a few, but somehow I had the slight impression that they had doubt that the car would run faultlessly in a race for 3 hours. Maybe next year....

We raced the trusty old Vauxhall then, had position 8 until the rear brake pipe split.... ☹️

Dave

24k + miles of screaming around without going is not bad ! Many similar power engines would need a couple of rebuilds in that time.

The demo car loom was replaced prior to trying to get the car out - perhaps the changes were a tad ambitious, but new loom and coils in (just to clear issue at Currborough).

Go and have a look at the engine's at Russell's place in Hoddesden.

Anthony

Dave, (Edmands) mine will be going on Steves rollers at some point, don't quite know when yet, but I will post the results.

I am also offering you a drive, would you like to try it on a drag strip, since you are the expert, and I'm sure would get much better times than me?

The car should be back in Uk spring/early summer.

Edited by - Mike Biddle on 12 Dec 2005 12:27:45

Any chance of a faxed copy of the article ? I am due to sit in the navigators seat of a Darian T90 with one of these behind me early next year, don't know if the guy who owns the car has a power curve for it ?

Fax no 01772 679528 - fao Mark Craine

Thanks, Mark.

OK Dave, deal done, I will contact you offline when I am able to give time frames etc.

For the public record, I don't have an axe to grind here, and I'm certainly not trying to sell you, or anybody else an engine. I would however value your personal opinion on the results of the decisions I have made in rebuilding the car into it's current incarnation.

The offer is also open to any other intertested parties on the understanding that i will only consider those who I regard as having a valuable contribution to make.

Thanks Pete Mate !

Mike B, suggest having a chat with Steve G asap as January is booking up quickly and Steve is at Autosport show and on hols part of Jan.

I appreciate yours may not be an all day job but just adjustments. Let me know when its booked in.

Mine looks like last week of Jan when I discussed it with him last night !

I understand that the 2lt Millington engine using a 95mm bore and 70mm stroke claims a peak of 290 bhp at 8100 whilst having peak torque of 180 ft lbs (It's stated twice in the article so no misprint). You do the maths....it doesn't add up - on that basis alone i wouldn't buy one, especially considering your average reader of Racecar Engineering knows a thing or two.

Big bhp claims sell engines unfortunately, always have done and always will.

The Hart 2lt was recently beaten on HTR's dyno by a full race 2.4lt BMW 4 cylinder unit - 284 bhp v my 278 bhp ☹️ This engine showed peak torque of 192 ft lbs compared to my 165 ft lbs so similar torque per litre.

SBD's impressive 1.7lt VX Westfield showed 241 bhp and 148 ft lbs on Steve Greenaulds r'road recently..... which is enough to clock 127 mph across the line at the Brighton Speed Trials 🤔

Home of BDR700

• 2 weeks later...