Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Taking Rear Wing off

sjmmarsh

A couple of the rivnuts on the leading edge of one of my rear wings had pulled loose so I set about repairing them today. It turned out that three of the front four rivnuts were out. Unfortunately I couldn't work out how to get the three rear fastenings that have nuts under the wing rather than bolts. I tried to undo the nut, but because of the corrosion The bolt was turning so I left it alone.

I have a roadsport SV, so the other end of the bolt is hidden behind the carpet lining the boot. I was able to replace 2 of the three rivnuts without taking the wing off, so it is held on pretty securely now.

What is the best way to get those three 'nut fastening' ones undone? Is it just a case of peeling back the carpet, or is there more to it?

Steve

Steve, just peel back the carpet I guess - I don't have any carpet and the bolt heads are clearly visible inside the boot.

Top tip from the racing community - use plastic/ nylon bolts when you replace the wings, esp into the rivnuts, and if you feel so inclined just use every other bolt. Then if the wing takes a hit the bolts shear rather than pulling the rivuts out, badly damaging the ally panel in the process.

Martin

Roadsports B

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)

Or your pants are too tight.(DB)

Steve

I have just had the same problem and had to peel back the carpet to get to the nuts. This proved the bond strength of 'Evo stick time bond' which I had used for the carpet.......is stronger than the carpet itself! I did manage to remove it eventualy with a little patience.

I am using nylon screws now for fixing the wing which I managed to acquire as samples. If you want to do the same there are several previous threads showing sources of supply.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

Definitely use placky bolts...

I took my wings off recently in preparation for my Arch visit - I expected trouble on the NS because that was the cf wing/panel damaged when idiot-woman reversed off her drive and into the side of my car 18 months ago. Sure enough, some of the rivnuts just span round, so I had to wrench them through the ali (they had been partially pulled through anyway).

More surprising - and annoying - was that a number of the rivnuts on the OSR were spinners too - I guess this *is* one of the downsides of having used the car through two winters... I had to pull these rivnuts through perfectly-good ali. If they'd been placky, I could have cut them with a sharp knife (not that they'd have seized if they were placky...)

Ho-hum. ☹️

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I've had the pleasure on a 7 months old car ! 2.500 miles

But who's ever told us it should be too easy!

Nowadays I tend to dip the bolts in Vaxoil or similar prior to fitting them. It is a terrible environment because of the mix between iron and alloy, which I think eats the zink plating fairly quickly!

/r