Click here if you are having website access problems ×

In tank fuel pump

julians

Anyone know if the standard fit in-tank fuel pump for a fuel injected car (of vintage circa 1996) is an off the shelf part , or whether its a caterham only item? If its off the shelf does anyone happen to have a part number or description so I can get one from the local motorfactors?

Mine failed today at donington, it gave no warning of its failure (at least not that I could tell), it managed to get me all the way there from manchester, then when I went to restart the car to go out on track there was no fuel pump. The car doesent have an immobiliser, and I ran some wires directly from the battery to the pump, but it still didnt whir ( i can usually hear it whirring quite loudly), which leads me to suspect the pump has failed.

Is this a reasonably common failure with the in-tank pumps? I've had a quick search of the archives andonly revealed problems with the external in-line type pumps.

Julians

I have one as I've just upgraded ot an R500 item however in true gentlemenly style I beleive Rob Grigsby was advertising one recently and has been trying to move it on for some time so drop him a mail

robert (at) rjames.demon.co.uk replacing (at) with @

Mark

Julians i don;t but generally they are reusable, you need to remove the tank to do it, there is only the main rubber seal and each of the 6? screws (maybe 8?) have a small o-ring on them.

Next withdraw the pump housing then exchange the pump unit, the mesh pick up is a push fit then it's two screws and it all comes apart

Mark

This has been on the car a while (since new really), and the 6 (or 8) screws are looking pretty rusty, not sure they'll come out without drilling and possibly damaging the seals, I'll have a go.

Dont suppose you know of a quick and easy way of draining the tank? Just before it packed up I'd filled it with 23 litres of optimax.

Thanks for the responses, After a quick google search, I;ve also found these guys:-

www.fuelsystem.co.uk

who list a part number for the caterham pump of ITP144 (or AC6443327).

My current tank had a leak, which I repaired a while ago, but seeing as the tank has to come out anyway, I think I'll take the opportunity to replace it.

I've sent Rob an email, but if I dont get an answer by tomorrow, I'll come back to you Mark as I could do with getting this back on the road ASAP.

Anyone got any good ideas on how to drain the tank with the minimum fuss? Is it possible to syphon the caterham tank? I guess it must be once you;ve removed the filler neck.

• Support Team

My local motor factor had a fuel syphon which only cost a few quid. It did the job for me without even removing the filler surround as the pipe that goes into the tank was quite flexible.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Still no email.

I have sent you one with my mobile number in it, so if you get it can you give me a call. Otherwise post on here with your number and I'll call you.

I dont quite understand when you say you needed the bracket for the uprated version. I've just taken the tank out and removed the defective pump and it all seems to be one piece, there doesent appear to be any bracket to speak of. I wonder if we're talking about the same part. Mine looks exactly as per this picture on caterhams website.

http://www.caterham.co.uk/onlinestores/merchandise/store/images/parts/fuelpump.jpg

Julians that is correct, but the white bit at the bottom is the pump and that separates from the metal piece with the steel flange, so you can swap the pumping mechanism only, without having to buy the whole shooting match which is significantly dearer. I suspect the bit you are being offered is just the pump and not the metalwork that it sits in. It is a simple swap

Ah I see, if thats the case then it wont do for me, as my unit has failed where the wires enter the resin block on the outside of the bracket assembly.Ie the pump itself appears fine.

Edited to add: I guess I should just try and re solder the wires back into place, but it looks quite fiddly. I'll have a crack at that before I find a new pump.

Edited by - julians on 5 Dec 2005 21:33:59