Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1700 x flow improvements

Dave B

I am running standard caterham xflow at the moment with 4:1 comp exhaust. Any advice on progressive enhancements would be appreciated. Head is leaded so I'm thinking of an unleaded upgrade with bigger valves. Has anyone any experience of aftermarket head suppliers, again any advice would be helpful. Where do i start??

Dave B

Dave,

My 1700 started breathing quite heavily at approx. 21000. Decided to take it to Roger King and let him have a tinker with it. It's hardly the quickest car around but RK did his 'basic' upgrade, forged pistons etc and re-bored the AX block to 1800. BTW the 7 also has an unleaded conversion. Car still only chucks out 140bhp but there has been a marked improvement in the engine (RK reckons that the supersprint only ever gave 120bhp and not the 135bhp that Caterham claim).

Best thing to do is speak with RK. I for one found him very easy to talk to and he will explain and cost all the options and wont pressure you into anything.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

If you are after a budget upgrade then vulcan are worth talking to, you wont get the same level of service as with RK, but they do a wormanlike job and will do the unleaded conversion as part of the rebuild. They do very levels of modification , big valve , webers etc.

Oily

I has a head by Roger K. Unleaded inserts and 155 spec head. That was all. On a stanard bottom end and cam, cast pistons only it gave 135 proper HP. Very pleased I was too. Mine gave 120 before mods. The car span very much better thereafter and sounded totally amazing in comparison. I understand that to release more power you need new cams and more revs than 6K max and this is unwise on the std bottom end - the pistons being the limiting factor I think. Roger didn't seem terribly cheap but he told me the head on it's own would be ok to 9K rpm! Gives you some confidence when you're only ever going to 6-6.5.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

How about......A Fireblade engine.

My motor, with 6 speed 'box carbs and all electrics cost £1100. The whole lot weighs about as much as a Ford 'Box and bellhousing, the power at the back wheel of the motorcycle is a real 135BHP.

If the rave reveiws are to be believed this should make the car lighter, better handling and easier to stop.

Has anyone driven both XF and Blade back -to- back?

Mark

Um...yes,

Looking on the BEC list there appears to be a few companies who can make the engine subframes and gearchange links such as Stuart Taylor, Playskool, Blackbird Motorsport or Z-Cars.

The Caterham Blade uses an extra pair of inserts on the lower chassis rails, as per the four at the front, also a few plates welded on the front top bulkhead rail to support the gear links.

I've not seen their bracket for the reverse box but I think many people are now moving to electric reverse anyway.

When I did the sums to convert my old Caterham from XF to blade I reconned on about £2300 for the conversion, not including a reverse box but with a £500 SS system.

The sale of XF engine, box, carbs etc would help offset some of this.

Not starightforward or cheap I know, but if the roadtests are true it should make a huge difference from the XF.

Mark