Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry-sump-filling

Marius

Talking about dry-sumps, what´s the right way to fill a dry-sump-system (external tank) with oil after installation ? Should all the oil be given into the tank or into the engine itself via cam-cover ? Or maybe 50:50 ? Is it wise to turn the engine some seconds without ignition to get some oil into the hoses and the pump ? Please help, I´m stupid ! (7 is 2.0 Vx, external tank and Pace-pump, SBD-kit)

I would put all the oil in the tank. Well, as much as I could initially. The Caterham recommendation for the K system is to do this, which makes sense I think, as wouldn't oil put in the cam cover filler simply drain down to the sump anyway, and then be pumped to the tank ?

I then turn the engine over without letting it fire (keep the immobiliser switched on, in my case), till the pressure comes up. At this point you could probably add more oil, as some of it will now be in the engine.

Then start the engine properly. Once stopped, if you haven't added the remaining oil already, do so now.

That's how I do it, anyway.

Assuming that by 'external tank', you mean the one that Caterham would normally use with a Crossflow/BDR, the best procedure is as follows.

1) Fill the tank to be level with the top baffle.

2) Remove the spark plugs so that the engine will crank as fast as possible.

3) Disconnect the ignition system so that it does not try to produce sparks (disconnecting the crank sensor will do if the power is not left on too long).

4)Crank the engine until some pressure shows on the gauge (you will hear the engine slowing down as this happens).

5) Refit plugs, connect ignition, fire engine and run for a couple of minutes - ensure that the oil pressure is good.

6) Stop engine and top up tank to 1" below the top baffle immediately (If you leave the engine to stand, the oil often drains down into the engine via the oil pump; this will then show a false level in the tank).

Notes. This procedure may not be a good idea if you have brand new cams which need bedding in. Slow cranking with poor lubrication can damage the lobes.

Don't forget to get all the old oil out of your filter housing, oil cooler, pipes etc, before filling with new oil. If you use Safety Kleen or similar fluid to clean the system out, the new oil will initially become frothy until the residue has evaporated away.

Thanks Nick & Roger, sounds very reasonable. Good that you mentioned the new cams ´cause there are new cams in there. So I guess I have to be even more carefull. Thanks a lot guys, isn´t the net wonderful ? Question in the morning, answer in the evening. I love it...