Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

cleaning MB rims

frankyknuckles

I'm afraid that if you have exposed bare alluminium to salt then the corrosion you see will not be polished out ☹️ the salt attacks the alluminium an pits it badly. The best prevention for this would have been to have the spun sections anodoised .

I find autosol very good for hard polishing and Alu belgom good for gentle polishing *smile*

I've heard 9but no personal experience)that wax based products after polishing can protect the ali from salt...has to be applied often (after every clean I think) but worth it to keep em shiny.

I'm sure with elbow greese you can get em to a high standard...or try buying a polishing kit.

after leaving mine (again the bare un-annodised rims) in the garage for a couple of weeks after getting salt on them I had to dismantle the wheels and polish the rims with an polishing wheel and autosol - it took ages and was a pain in the butt.

and now they need doing again *mad* not a lot of good to you know but my advice would be to stick with the annodised rims.

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

If the salt has done that to your rims I would worry what its done to the rest of the car. The other thing to think about is the mating surfaces of the split rims if salt has got into this joint the mag centers will corrode in no time. Mag split rims and salt are not a good combination. If you must run on salty roads get some cheapo rims and keep your exotic MB`s for better weather.

You can order them bare polished ali from MB if you want (I did) but they should be viewed as not really being suitable for winter driving.

I would say that Mike Barnby might be able to repolish them on his powered polisher provided they are not too bad. Give him a ring and see what he says, the numbers in the archive.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 2 Dec 2005 15:12:36

Hmmm..... any obvious way of telling whether they're anodised? From what you're saying my rims (whcih the original owner specified on the Caterham build sheet) will be anodised. I'm familiar with anodised finishes on aluminium alloy bike components, looking at my rims it never occured to me they're anodised.

Sorry for the hijack, Franky.

Edited by - jason liddell on 3 Dec 2005 00:47:23