Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What would you do?

old captain slow

I'm now thinking of my christmas present to me having saved my pennies for ever so long. I've got a 1600 K SS with 6 speed box but otherwise bog standard. Must go faster round Curborough so what would you recommend?

LSD - yes or no and if I convert the existing with new internals what would you recommend. Anyone tried the Quaife (spelling?) torque bias jobby as advertised in Deamon Tweeks?

Quick rack - 22%?

Suspension - currently 170 lbs at the front and standard variable rate at the back with front 5/8" ARB. She tends to lift her skirts a bit on the corners so wondered about stiffer springs at the front. 200lbs??

Lastly - 4:1 exhaust. I assume you can keep the standard Caterham cat can?

Help!

C7 CDW

Would suggest you contact Phil Stewart at "Road & Race Transmissions" for the LSD advice/fitment.Good, honest prices (my boy on my life already)

22% race rack is a lovely, easy mod. I think they're Great! (I sound like Tony the [Frosties] Tiger)

250 lb front and 180 rear is reasonable (I use this for road only work).

If you have the std. strangled exhaust where it exits in one pipe with the four branch joining within the engine bay, then a new exhaust will definitely help. Maybe one from "PowerSpeed", Nr. Ashford, Kent?

You could try 18mm front ARB and 3/8 or 1/2 inch rear ARB as Gordon Cardew did, and leave the springs alone. His car is now stunningly effective at Curborough, although his driving is a large part of that.

LSDwise, from what I've heard, a plate ZF LSD is still the one to have and it works very well in my car.

How about big brakes? They are ALOT more effective than the standard items, especially when combined with the uprated AP master cylinder.

If you really want a giggle, how about a pair of throttle bodies and a mappable ECU? This would move you up a class though.

The quick rack won't make you faster around Curborough but I know some people swear by them.

What tyres do you use? I have no doubt that this can be the easiest way to go faster if you're not on the best ones.

I've resisted mentioning the QED Vx engine that's in the for sale section...... although that looks like a good bargain.

smile.gif

Thanks for the replies.

Chris,

The guys at Redline (no room or time to do it myself!) think 22% is too fast for the road. How do you find yours?

Also how will my passenger like the spring combo. Am I going to get complaints from the co-pilot?

Alex,

I only run list 1A tyres so the current brakes I think will wait a year because the TBs are on next winter's shopping list.

Re the Vx lump - words fail .....

JP

Stretching my budget now, but I guess I'll have to go for the 4:1 as well!

Cheers!

C7CDW

The guys at Caterham say the same. Well, having driven Phil Stewarts V/X car and Al wains 'K' car both with 22% racks it CONVINCED me I HAD to have one. It is fine for the road as long as you are going to sleep!

You just lean it into bends and it goes; no fuss, no bother. It has 1.6 turns lock to lock.

Highly recommended by me as one of the best mods I've done to the car.

So, I would say to the question "Is the 22% rack too quick for the road?" It starts with a 'B' and ends in 'ollocks'. No it's not too fast; it's the dogs dangly bits!

A bit graphic, but you get the ideathumbsup.gif

David,

The 4-2-1 is said to be the better bet for the 1.6K. I went for the 4-1 in order to keep the cat'd silencer for MOT purposes. There isn't enough space for a long primary 4-2-1 if you keep the cat. My pipes are arranged such that a 4-2-1 collector can fit. I might have a new uncat'd silencer and 4-2-1 collector made to slip on. Paid £350 fitted from Powerspeed. Nice pipes, tatty hole (but easily tidied up).

James.

Bri,

I've never done the job from scratch, but after my tidying up of my hole (ooer) I would have attempted it. Powerspeed don't have a template - I asked them. They told me that they gradually enlarge the standard hole bit by bit, passing the various pipes through to judge where to take off more metal. (My manifold comes as two pairs of pipes.) Once you can squeeze the pipes through I guess you can just tidy up whats left. I used the grinding bits for a dremel (on a normal high speed drill) - steady hand and patience required as there is the easy potential to **ck up the side of the car. I also bought a set of small needle files in different shapes (about £8 from B&Q) for final tidying. The aluminium is soft and easy to work with.

If my server ever starts working again I'll post some close up dig pics on my website.

James.