Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tonneau

Peter Mears

I would think it'd have the opposite effect and make it easier to fit. Reason? The material will stretch over the whole area, rather than having a solid zip in place along the centre line preventing this stretch.

I have to say though that if the 'genuine' Caterham issue one is fitted with the triangular zip cover correctly positioned it shouldn't leak; mine doesn't and it's seen some heavy downpours this year!

What you may find is that you have to fit the new cover really tight as the zip may (may not of course!) have the effect of stiffening up the centre spine a bit and preventing 'ponding'.I can imagine a state where the ponding gets so bad that the water either a) leaks through the material or, b)Gets so full & heavy that it 'pops' the press studs off and dumps the whole load in your car!

Still think it sounds a good idea if you only want it as a pure rain cover thoughthumbsup.gif

My Tonneau is the standard Caterham zipped version, sometimes I put just the px side on when driving solo. In this configuration with normal screen and sidexcreens I have noticed that the tonneau will come free from the front central poppers at around 90 - I spent a large part of a journey in the rain on Euro 2001 driving between Besancon and Reims on a wonderful d road one handed - steady 85 - 90 for the best part of 1 1/2 hours interspersed with stops for crossroads, and occassional slowing down for agricultural traffic. My left hand was holding ht rh front corner of the tonneau !

When fitting the tonneau if it has become cold and damp, it tends to become stiff and perhaps shrink slightly. Fitting thr front central poppers with the zip closed is sometimes difficult, particularly with cold hands. However having the zip half undone, and fitting then doing up the zip tends to overcome this problem.

John gathard

I'll second Steve's top tip and confirm it certainly works. For those with removable headrests, they're just the right height to make the prop that Steve has mentioned above.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Steve.

I think a removable steering wheel must help. Saying that, mine is not!

It does need to be pulled a bit, but is no more difficult to fit than the left side. I have seen t/covers that have a sewn-in steering wheel section but they always seem too big. It makes it all look a bit limp (ooh err).

the only damage to our beloved 7 so far whilst parked outside in the street in london was when some little bu**er sat on the tonneau, and consequently tore some poppers out of the vinyl and one out from the aluminium. It was the fist time I had left the car parked with the doors off as well - doors on and they would not of sat on it!

I suspect every tonneau fits slightly differently due to the 'hand built' nature of the car. Ours is not bad, but if you park on the street so that the zip cover flap is facing'down-hill' to the camber of the road, then it prevents water running under this flap and leaking through the zip. we always leave the car outside with the tonneau on as opposed to the hood, as I think it is less likely to get damaged by passing attention.

I'm looking for somewhere that makes a custom tonneau in the original fabric a) without a zip, b) with custom 'pockets' in it to accommodate S-type seats headrests (or Blackbird/R500 seats if I change to those). ANY SUGGESTIONS/CONTACTS

I've also seen a lovely old S2 7 that seemed to have the boot cover and the cockpit tonneau as one piece! and a clever idea of rolling up the cockpit bit when not in use - this the oldest solution must be the most water-tight yet.

M

As the first post suggests I am in the process of having a single cover made with all the pockets etc. I do not know how this is going to work out yet or indeed the costs but can post something in a few days time if the chap comes up with the goods. They recently reupholstered my seats and the new tunnel cover is to be fitted this week. They have done excellent work so far and they did not think the tonneau would be a problem. The company is based in Wandsworth London. Maybe I will start a new trend of the single piece tonneau.

Hate to say this, but my Westie, now sold, had a single piece tonneau / boot cover - a zip down the cockpit to allow driver only in and cover passenger seat. Simply unpop, roll up, tuck under front of boot and get in. Stayed on all time, watertight evern under snow, and for a 3month continous stay when I was in the states.

Which is why i was so disappointed with Xat offering - awkward to use and doesn't like staying on. Might get used to it, or might get new one piece made!

Bri