Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Extra height FIA bar

Andrew Dent

Yes there is! I bought mine second hand from Caterham for £50 earlier this year. It is about 2 inches taller than standard, the down side being the you cannot use it with the hood up without removing the hood frame...but for track use in the summer, who cares!

I got Arch to make me a special FIA bar with a bolt-on hoop on the drivers side, which increases the height on my side by about 4 to six inches, plenty to cope with my helmeted head. They charged me £180 plus vat for the whole deal (FIA bar plus petty strut plus bolt-on hoop). The advantage is that I can unbolt it to fit the roof. I only ever put the hoop on when racing.

I'd be suspicious of bolt-on hoops. Imagine the loading if you inverted at speed. The load would probably be across the join, so it might not help much.

Don't think it would comply with the MSA Blue Book either.

Still it'll only take your head, the rest of your body will be protected.

Caterham Midland know a man who can make you a roof to fit over the tall Caterham bar.

I'd rather not imagine, thanks very much :-) I've never had problems at scrutineering, though one scrutineer commented on it but let it through without needing persuasion.

On the same topic, what if Andrew needed a full cage? Does the normal full cage go high enough for tall drivers, and if not what is the alternative?

Yep, you can use the hood, but is kind of hangs over the bar, doesn't look pretty but still keeps you dry! Because you take out the frame, the hood rests on the tall bar, and then onto the screen poppers, so the side pannels are not taught and not all of the poppers do up. It is enough to allow you to use the car on the motorway etc...without it flapping. Like I said, not pretty but it certainly works.

This whole subject of roll bars perplexes me.

When my Caterham was delivered it had a standard Caterham roll bar. I have subsequenly replaced it with an FIA bar, and I've recently seen the new R500 bar.

I just wonder why the factory continue to produce a bar that is not approved for motorsport,even the marque's club don't permit the use of the standard or 500 bar.

Both cynical and informed replies welcome ;-)

John G

This whole subject of roll bars perplexes me.

When my Caterham was delivered it had a standard Caterham roll bar. I have subsequenly replaced it with an FIA bar, and I've recently seen the new R500 bar.

I just wonder why the factory continue to produce a bar that is not approved for motorsport,even the marque's club don't permit the use of the standard or 500 bar.

Both cynical and informed replies welcome ;-)

John G