Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Short Springs

mike ashurst

Hi Folks,

Embarassed novice question of the day. Part 1.

I've just realised that when I jack up the front end of my 96 1.6 K SS, the springs are loose, in fact, they are about 1/2" shorter than the space between the upper and lower seats. Upside is that I would never need a spring compressor to remove them, downside is that this cannot possibly be right?

I have bog standard non-adjustable Bilstiens.

Part 2.

When this is sorted can I fit the adjustable spring seat kit to these shockers, and can I invert them safely?

Mike

1. This is OK - most cars set up for track use suffer this problem. MOT man doesn't like it but he can't actually do much about it.

2. Not sure if you have the clearance to invert once the adj platforms are on. With the adj plats the dampers are probably equal weight end over end anyway.....

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Yes you can invert with the adjustable platforms on.

I would not recommend going over any yumps with the current springing. Is the car running stiff front springs? You can lock wire various bits together which can be a good idea. The textbook solution is to fit flat helper springs.

With adjustable seats, you will not be able to take out the slack AND set the ride height to where it is presently or any lower. Something is not quite as intended. Helper springs can fix all of the above.

Thanks guys.

Arnie, I didn't have any trouble with the MOT on that score, probably 'cause he was too busy failing me on emissions (Bl**dy jobsworth!).

Peter, This might explain why the ground clearance is about 50 mm under the sump.

"Something is not quite as intended" - any ideas what?

Kenny, I had a quick look last night and didn't see any extra groves, but I'll have a closer look tonight.

As Arnie said most cars set up for track use, i.e. low, suffer from this problem. Also the stiffer the spring the greater the slack (for an identical ride height). Never had a problem with the MOT, the mechanic is usually to happy to be testing a clean car with easily visible components to bother. Some standard Bilsteins had groves some did not, at the time I ordered my kit there were a no cost option that was not on the options list, you had to know to request them.

When I ran my car lower than it currently is I had this problem and simply lock wired the top alloy spring cup and spring together, it never caused me any grief. Not wishing to panic you but check the rear, mine has always had a bigger gap than the front, again it has been lockwired. I have 260 fronts and 180 rears on a 92 de-dion.

Remember, at the front the distance you move the circlips on the dampers will be almost doubled when you check the new ride height.

Paul