Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-Series Steel rods (from Farndon?)

Richard Anderson

The arrow ones do look nicer- they have bushed small ends for a start, the farndon ones are just machined in the parent steel. Traditionally this has restricted the Farndons to taking a press fit pin which makes rebuilds tricky. I asked Farndon about modifying my rods, they offered to install a bush but it was quite thin and couldn't take a groove so I doubt they'd be of any benefit.

It is possible to machine the Farndons to accept floating pins but they haven't got enough meat on the top to allow them to be drilled for an oil feed. There is only one engine I know which works like this (Honda S2000).

Anyway, for now the rods are residing under my bed until the current motor needs attention...

Also on the Fardon topic, I asked them to quote for a new 1.8 crankshaft, I got a fax back which was a little distorted (our duff machine) but I think it says £1100exc vat. Sounds cheap to me?

BC

A DKE crank for a K is less than £1100 plus VAT I believe. DKE is in a different league to Farndon for the VX - I saw Count's Steel DKE crank and was alarmed it retains 8 counterweights but I guess there is good engineering reason for this.

All the Farndon cranks I have seen look rather "meaty"....

Edited by - EFA on 28 Nov 2005 12:46:33

I have both Farndon crank and rods fitted to my engine and both are very good products. the Rods are EN24 steel and are H section carrillo pattern with bronze bushed little ends. They can supply interference fit little ends if you require them. Doug Kiddie made a crank for my K it was useless .after waiting 6 months for him to make it the crank was not cross drilled as ordered, he had machined grooves around the mains to get around the problem, the crank pins were undersized, the crank was so heavy it better suited a tractor and the counter balance weights fouled the block. Apart from these minor defects it was ok.