Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyre thread!!!!!!

Fathead

Don't think theres been a tyre thread for a while...

Thinking of changing my tyres from a539s because they're rubbish in the wet and not amazing in the dry. does anyone think the a048s will be worse in the wet?? I'll get some 21s if i have to, but i enjoy driving in the dry more (oh and the 48s look better 😬)

what are peoples opinions of the 48s in winter?

Tom

The most southerly uk blatter

Yellow 1.6 Supersport

Edited by - fathead on 24 Nov 2005 12:30:35

Edited by - fathead on 24 Nov 2005 12:30:51

Prepare for all sorts of opinions - depends so much on how people have there cars, how people prefer there cars to feel, when they use the car etc etc, so I can only give my opinion.

I am running 48's right now - everyday use. Roads recently have been very very slippery. Advantage of a Caterham is that you can feel that. It is very easy to provoke spinning rear tyres - particularly when you first set off (I do this anyway, just to get a feel for what the road surface is like)

I prefer oversteer, so I don't mind this, and indeed use that feeling.

We also have some 539's on another set of rims - far easier to provoke rear wheel slip. If you want to do this, then that is great - if you don't then IMO they will slip more than 48's.

IMO where the 48's will be better is braking. I found that the 539's would lock up in slippery conditions far more quickly than 48's - and that also includes wet conditions.

We use 48's all year round. If I want to play, and not wear away the 48's, I might pop the 539's on - but they scare me under braking, as I have said.

In all of this, common sense must prevail!! Caterham is a very light car, and it is so so easy to slip and slide in these recent road conditions, regardless of the tyre. Similarly, 48's may well aquaplane more easily than other more treaded tyres, such as 21's - and we have experienced that - but if I am driving in those conditions with 48's I am aware of the risk, and pay extra attention to standing water and puddles - worst situation IMO is streams of water draining across motorways and dual carriage ways.

Anyway, moved a little off topic - IMO get the 48's particularly if you mainly drive in the dry. For general use I would still choose them over 539's for all conditions for safety/braking conditions, but that is my opinion, connected with how I like to drive the car, how I like the car to feel, and the huge mileage (and therefore experience in all conditions) that I have driven with them - if that makes sense!! *smile*

www.mycaterham.com

here

88,500 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Nifty: he may be from the USA for all we know *cool*

21's are better in wet conditions & v good in the dry

48's are superb in the dry & not so good in the wet

I use 21's on the road & 48's on the track

185/70/13 21's from George Polley are about £35 a corner. Don't be put off using such a tall tyre as the suspension copes very well.

arrrrggghh I cannot belive i used an americanism!!! sorry it should've been tyre

tyre

tyre

tyre

tyre

tyre

tyre - there hopefully its sunk in now!!

Thanks for your replies folks - i am currently on 14 inch rims and the 21s cost the same as the 48s!

so on balance its either the 48s or the cr500s *thumbup*

Tom

Yellow 1.6 Supersport

Tom, I have 14 inch wheels, and use 48s all the time. When I decided to go for them I did quite a bit of research (thanks to Angus for a lot of it) and it was between the 500's (and change wheels) or the 48's. I couldn't afford to change the wheels as well, so went for the 48's and have never looked back since. I was getting loads of understeer (probably my driving) on the old set of standards, and they've gone with these. And they're great on the track too. IIRC the exige is now clad with 48s as well for every day driving.

As for wet weather, if you remember I came tippy toeing by you in Cornwall on one very wet very muddy day back in September.

I've not driven in the ice and snow so can't comment on that, other than I reckon whatever tyre you have on your 7, it will be hairy and fun all at the same time 😬

BTW hope you managed to get home from Dartford the other week as well?

she's blue and a super sport, soon to have extra grrrr

giles, yes my trip home was fantastic, great to have my car back.

Tackled it in 2 stages with a stop in Bath sunday night and a very early and very very cold start in frosty conditions (needless to say i took it very easy).

Looks like I've made a decision and will be 'investing' in a set of 48s as soon as i have some money (the dartford trip was somewhat pocket emptying!)

let me know how the power upgrade goes! 😬

Tom

Yellow 1.6 Supersport

Hi

Just to throw another viewpoint in.. I have had A048 and A021 on the car over the last year, both 13"

The 48s are great on track in the dry... but I don't use them for that anymore since discovering slicks. They are not great in the wet which has lead to some interesing slides... caught them all (so far... thansk Don Palmer!) so interesting and not expensive. Where I find them scary is in the cold. They don't warm up and the levels of grip avalible is less than you think. This generally happens under braking andthen things can get worrying.

I have now moved onto A021 on the road and for wet use on track. They warm up very quickly even in the rain. When they do break away it is VERY progressive and reasurring. I tend to hold slides a bit more and play with them rather than just tidying things up as quickly as possible. However they are going to wear quickly in the dry particularly if it is warm.

I have only driven on CR500s a couple of times - they are very good.. probably not as good as the A048 in warm dry conditions, and not quite as good as A021 in the wet. But they are an excellent all rounder.. but expensive.

Personally I'd go for A021s and live with the high wear rate if you live somewhere cool and drive all the year around.. If you live somewhere warmer & drier then 48s.

Have fun *wink*

One of the Duratectives

The 539's are better in the wet than the 48's. The 48's are however a good tyre overall and great for dry circuit driving although as Ian says they do take a bit of warming up- all this applies to medium compound and with a soft compound now available thats another option. This time of year I would go for the 21's.

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

Yes you fathead, it's much better calling you Tom 😬

I think it may be worth calculating the long term cost of changing to 13" wheels.

How many sets of 14" tyres vs the cost of 13" gets you a set of 13" wheels. If you see what I mean.

I would have 13" wheels tomorrow if They would fit over my huge calipers.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Anyone have any views on which compound tyres to go for with the 48s??

I was thinking Soft for the front and Medium for the rear. Is that sensible or shall I go for medium all round?

The car is used soley for road use at the moment (I hope to do some trackdays in the future though!)

Tom

😬Yellow 1.6 Supersport 😬 Photos here

Yes Tom - that is sensible. Helps reduce understeer.

Having said that we go for the same all round, purely because it increases the opportunity to swap tyres around as they wear - same all round (medium) is still bloody good. *thumbup*

www.mycaterham.com

here

88,500 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car