Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R500 / Rover aero style filler cap

Alex Wong1697456877

I've just fitted one of these modified Rover R500 ali aero style filler caps.

Has anybody else had trouble with the key not always going into the keyhole? It seems that the kay can be taken out with the lock in a position where the key cant go back in. It can be sorted with a small screwdriver but it's seems a bit... well.... ummm..... crap.

It is an R500 part I suppose!

tongue.gif

Alex

Yep, I got caught out by mine at the petrol station last week. Took a fair amount of prodding and waggling to get the key to go in. I think there's a knack to turning the key fully and pulling it straight out which alleviates the symptoms. I'd rather have one with a flippy toggle ala Lotus 340R. I wouldn't even bother to lock it. I dont leave my 7 in the street very often.

I have an early type R500 type fitted (with as Pierre says, the hollow cylindrical 'key'). This used to stick and was a right cochon to unlock/lock.thumbsdown.gif

It took a few weeks to settle but is fine now. I suspect it is the tightness of the sealing gland 'jamming' against the underside of the cap. After a few weeks of being squashed it is finethumbsup.gif

ps. I have to admit to running a smear of grease around the seal after the first few problem days so maybe that's the cure!

Good Luck