Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Technical Forum Decisions/Notes

bl0498

Graham

I wasn't complaining - just trying to express a point of view, based on my limited experience of sprinting this year. I realise that the regs have been set for 2006 and was not asking for them to be changed, but I can see that there are some structural problems in the existing class structure - especially as someone pointed out if you have an SV or a (just) over 140bhp car.

I am happy to help by running an alternate scoring system alongside the main comp (completely unofficial) to see if something can be done; let me know if you are interested by private-mailing me. Just to reiterate Graham's point - this alternate competition would be purely for FUN, but should give a more level playing field if you are interested in competing against other drivers and not who has the biggest budget!

Steve

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Del.

Your car will be fine. Mine is a standard 1.8k, running 140bhp. It was slightly slower on the straights than the quick 1.6's but if I sorted the gearing I think the difference through the speed traps would be negligible.

To be honest, driver ability on a LOT of the circuits more than makes up for the shortcomings of the car. Certain circuits it could be said, do favour the higher powered cars with 6 speed box, 3.92 diff etc etc etc but at the end of the day the object of the exercise is to compete against yourself and keep improving initially.

As for driving to events..... 😬 😬 😬 😬It's the ONLY way to do it!! 😬 😬 and...i certainly wouldn't have tried any harder even if the car had been trailered!

Just turn up, empty the pies outta the boot, smile a lot, have fun, and drive home a happy camper! That pretty much sums up the entire season....even on the days when I drove home for 3 hours in the rain without the screen....it was still *arrowright* 😬 *arrowleft* inside the helmet!

Winning isn't everything, and to be honest, no-one has what I would call an unfair advantage in Class 2 or 3, well, not that was evident this year. Join in, get some experience and watch the results improve! *thumbup* *thumbup*

Dannyboy *tongue*

153bhp and 184lb/ft ??????????????????? My arse *tongue*

Steve (Marsh),

I have to say I think you are missing the point focussing on the small redefinition of the class structure for 2006 and alternate points systems, trailering etc.

In real life most of us (I am in Class 2) do not have cars that are fully optimised to the regs for our class - I certainly don't have unlimited cash etc I want to throw at the car and most people are in the same situation. Indeed most people in Class 2 - and I am sure the other classes are the same, know that it is driver training that is the most effective upgrade for a lot of our competitors - myself included! This is one of the reasons why we don't rush out and upgrade the car - there will be little real benefit. We may delude ourselves from time to time - but we know in reality.

Consequently you will find that there are quick drivers with less bhp than others in each class - these are the better drivers. I really wouldn't worry about 150bhp in Class 4 - its how you use that power on the track that is important. If you look at the results you will see that some cars in Class 4 are slower than those in Class 2 with less power...

Within Class 2 I try to 'locally' compete with a few others whom I know are of similar skill/experience/power. Its good fun to have a bit of banter with them. I am sure most people who are not out-and out front runners do this. Everyone also tries to improve against their previous times at the venue, given similar conditions.

As for trailering its down to the individual. A lot of cars in Class 3 etc are trailered because of the need for high grip tyres which really are not suitable for 200 mile drives to lots of events. I drive my car to most events - because I prefer to on the empty roads on Saturday/Sunday mornings - I don't drive any better/riskier when I have my trailer - my natural self-preservation mechanism still cuts in at the same point!

Within the regs there is a spot for your car. Your car may not seem optimal for those regs - but really it is down to you. Without spending oddles of cash you can have lots of fun competing in that class - against yourself (against previous results) and against others of similar ability. This is the beauty of sprinting - you really don't have to spend lots of cash to enjoy yourself! Upgradeitis does not have to be all-consuming!

Enjoy your speed events in 2006 - we have some great venues. I have been doing this since 1998, and am not a front runner in class 2 - but I still find it great fun.

Brian

It is axiomatic though that whenever a set of regs is written, folks will build their car to that spec. At the grassroots level rather than F1, that will always leave some who do not have the opportunity to do the same . From my point of view I believe that it is important at this level, to keep the rules consistant for a decent period and not keep changing them, as that will simply upset more people and the same old debates come to the fore. May all future changes be small ones *thumbup*

Brian

Thanks for your reasoned comments; they are appreciated. As to the cars in class 4 that are slower than those in class 2... that would be me! Apart from the 71 (check it out!) points I scored at Curborough 3 last year, I was well off the pace.

Plenty of room for improvement then in 2006! 😬

Steve

Thanks Robmar, I've got a std plenum as well it's just that the inlet manifold has been upgraded on all Mega Grads for next year and I'm not sure I can be bothered to change everything over for a sprint. So it looks like Yoko 48's ( med) and Class 5 for next year. *thumbup*

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

We are using it with a larger throttle body. The guys that have tried it have been very impressed and coupled with the non-cat exhaust takes us to about 150 bhp. No ECU tweaking. My understanding is that the noticeable gain is above 7000 revs. Engines are still unmodified and sealed.

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22