Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Technical Forum Decisions/Notes

bl0498

• Area Representative

Mav,

Why not run the Emerald when you wish, but plug the Standard SS ECU back in to compete in sprints?

Any engine that is class 2/3 legal, won't get much (if any) gain from running the Emerald anyway.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All classes: Maximum noise level 108dB at 0.5m. (Certain events may impose lower limits)

Err at what RPM or percentage of max RPM 🤔

said Mr Noisy........ who now checks the wading more often 😬

Class 6 all trailered cars *tongue* 😬......maybe its time I dropped this......then maybe not 😬

That just leaves will I let Oily Rag compete he not driven it yet.... so how much does a trailer cost *eek*. Oh he went on a firms do Karting at Buckmore here managed fastest lap of the day 0.6 sec off the lap record first go in a not a toy fast Kart and needless to say first visit..... spins a few came 4th and one of them races.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Getting well of subject Buckmore park could be a good club fun event 🤔

Sorry for the highjack

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Hi Brian

Rather as I expected I just asked so it was clear *smile*

as the timing can be achieved reasonably accutatelty using dowels (think that is the right term) fitting of adjustable pulleys with a vernier scale on them, is just an easy route to get to the same point, so IMO these should be allowed becuase the same result can be achieved with or without them, it is just a lot easier IMO with the adjustabel type IYSWIM *confused*

Mav - if you ant to go to using an emerlad I would do what Richard suggests, however if you start being succesful we will need to confiscate your emerald (just to be sure you ain't using it *tongue* *wink*) for the entire day/weekend of the sprint...

plus I know your original ECu has my name on the back of it so i know what to look for 😬

I'm coming round to Mavs way of looking at this. Even though I had dismissed his arguement when we were talking.

If I do compete next year I'm going to be so far behind the class it will be disheartening/ pointless.

Because , if I'm reading this correctly, I can have all the bits allowed but i'll still have a stock 1800 140bhp car.

Factor in the additional weight for an SV

I will be lining up against 160bhp "whippet" cars.

Theres coming last (but with an achieveable target )as opposed to being completly out classed

Freelance Ferret sexer and general sloth for hire

Delbert - the idea is that cars in class2&3 are supposed to be alrgely 'standard' and in not a high state of tune, so somethign a new competitior/club member can buy (maybe 2nd hand) and start to compete staright away withough startign to spend inordinate amounts

the allowance for 1600's to have the head work is to get them onto a par power wise as the 1800's

there is no one set of regs that will please everyone all the time, those at the technical discussions form all classes (so not just 2&3) and there where competitors with 1800 & 1600's where in the room, all agreed to the clarification in the regs.

And my plans to go emerald (have one on the shelve) have changed, so it effects others than 1800's...

rob

PS don't forgot the extra wide track to help conering in the SV 😬 *confused* *tongue*

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

Rob,

I totally agree with you the regs were discussed buy my fellows and these sets were devised.

I also agree that restriction is the best way to go using your affordability arguement.

My problem is I didn't expect to be doing this when I bought my 7 and I now need to allocate 5 or 6 hundred pounds from my upgrade budget to get the helmets and overalls etc.

However if I am so far behind then maybe I'd be better spending elsewhere and getting my kicks as I have for the last few years driving down and watching the action.

I'll have to have a think

Delbert

The 1.6K's will not have a 160bhp and as I have already stated before speed trap data from MIRA and Curborough suggest that the proposed changes will level out the playing field. I suggest that you come and give it a go as a well driven car will always be competitive in this Class *thumbup*. Remember two years ago a 1.8SS was in Class 4 or 5 up against Dave Jackson, Andy Griffiths and Ken Evans to name but a few, so I think the current situation is a definite improvement. We will of course review the regs at the end of next season.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Delbert - i'm going to be running a stock 1600 supersport in class 3 and would expect to be fighting for 4th to 6th places, so I don't think you'll be running at the back by any means. I still get as bigger buzz from going faster than my previous times at a circuit as I do from placing well overall.

Steve

Whatever the regs, I am always going to come last in class 2 *thumbdown*, but I compete to have fun and enjoy the camaraderie(Sp?) of the club sprints *thumbup* 😬 and I thought that was what sprinting was about *confused*

Thanks to the guys that took time to discuss the regs and to Mark for organising the events.

Mrs K

Delbert, I see your worries about spending money competing if, as you say, don't have an attainable target. Well look at tha current class 1 times round curborough, i know a class 1 car weighing 610 kg with list 1A tyres, 8 valves and 100bhp can set 67, 68 second times. This is not last in class 2.

My Dads supersport conversion Roadsport has around 130 - 140 bhp, if fully kitted out with heater, carpets, leather seats and that can do under 63 seconds round curborough. You should be aiming for 64 seconds, your car could easily do that *eek*

As your first year in sprinting your target should be to get as consistant as possible, do not convince yourself that you cannot go any faster because of the car. If after three sprints that is the case i would give up you day job and become a professional driver 😳 because there are competitors that have been sprinting for the last 3 years that are only just maximising their cars speed *thumbup*

Mav - what is stopping you putting in your emerald, entering the sprints in class 4 then comparing your times to class 2. You can then enjoy a bit of competition as we know that you are not driving for the championship.

This championship is a bit of fun, somewhere to compete with friends (and family), personally i take more pleasure competing as an underdog and driving the nuts off the car than crusing to an easy win 😬

Robert Herring

Rob@gprdirect.com

GPR Direct Motorsport Equipment

Perhaps if a car more or less complies with the new regs. It could still be allowed to compete in a particular class with a handicap system applied.

A competitor could have his or her fingers driven over at the start of the day.

If Mav wants to use his emerald in class 2 then he must first knock back a yard of ale followed by 2 Bacardi chasers and a deep fat fried mars bar with prawn and mayo topping before being guided back to his car for a timed run.

Or a second added to the lap time.

Delbert - don't forget if you are a novice (never done any form of motorsport before), you will be eligible for the 'novices chmapionship', where you are competing against like wise individuals *thumbup* we had I think 15 novices this year and there where some outstanding drives this year, so don't think that becuase you ar new or haven't got a car that is ultimate in terms of mods that you won't go away with anything

this will be over 5 rounds for next year to qualify (so best 5 scores)

rob

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

Rob, (Kipper Jnr)

That makes alot of sense, I actually know my Curbourgh times from a day I organised last year so I appear to be worrying about a little matter of 5 seconds!!

I have no problem coming last, but I need as you say to have attainable times where I might actually come second from last once in a while.

As you say its a bit of fun and from my time wandering round the pits I know this to be true but Hicking up Everest can be Fun as well, if however the slowest person on the rope is so far off the pace it becomes embarrasing for all.

However it seems I would not be that far off

Thank you

Pity the "cat and Fiddle" isn't on the programme this year!!!!

I really appreciate the posts on this thread, maybe its a case of "Pre Demon Tweeks" nerves

All I gotta do is find a race suit that my Bum does not look big in!!!!

Delbert

Just to give you something to benchmark yourself against back in 2003 when I first started sprinting and IIRC my time in August was around 70seconds, in 2004 I got this down to 65.3secs and this year I had a best of 63.01secs. Power was not relevant and the quicker times I put down to greater experience and general improvement in my driving so come along and give it a go. I'll be happy to walk the course with you and explain the lines that I take, not that they are necessarily the best *wink*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Hello All.

Last year my 1st year of sprinting I did OK. This year I did a bit better.

What ECU you run is not the point, Its about going from A - B in as little time as posible.

If you are worried about your time have a look at what realy counts. If you are in class 3 and what to be up there the you have to have ACB10 A24. If you have a programable ecu and run on say CR500 you will be slower.

Power to weight: many ideas on how to improve on this some cost others do not.

As a 1.8 SS with JUST 140 bhp i think it will make an intreasting year 2006 at the top of the class.

If you look at class 5 time and the top of class 3 you will see that power is not king, your ability to control your 7 is.

David

As the owner of a 150bhp stock SV with VVC engine, I am definitely bottom of the pecking order in Class 4, not that having a better car would mean that I went that much faster. I still enjoy competing, but tend to find similar cars (other stock VVCs or R300s) where I can benchmark myself against.

The interesting thing is that there are big differences in 'road legal' cars. Some look like they are used on the road and are driven to the event. Others are trailered there and whilst technically road legal are track-tuned not really suited to the road.

Maybe there should be a class for proper road going cars, or maybe there is a handicap system that removes much of the difference between the cars, leaving driver skill as the main factor.

Those that want to go fast can still tune their cars to their hearts content. Those that want to just enjoy their driving can concentrate on that rather than upgraditis.

Putting the two together, you could have a class open for 'stock' cars - i.e. standard Caterham spec, you could additionally specify that they have to be driven to the event.

As only stock cars are allowed to enter it should be simple to spec a handicap based on the engine power and roadsport/superelight body.

It would be ideal for novices and allow close competition. Call it 'Class 0' and leave the other categories alone.

Who would be interested if there was something like Class 0?

Steve

Please expand as you have lost me

🤔The interesting thing is that there are big differences in 'road legal' cars. Some look like they are used on the road and are driven to the event. Others are trailered there and whilst technically road legal are track-tuned not really suited to the road.

Maybe there should be a class for proper road going cars, or maybe there is a handicap system that removes much of the difference between the cars, leaving driver skill as the main factor. 🤔

David