Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wings?

Mike Biddle

Now that my car is capable of some very serious velocities which I fully intend to explore, I'm wondering if anything can be done to counter front end lift at high speed.

How about a wing/aerofoil or whatever moulded around the upper or lower front wisbones?

Or if movement of wishbones during suspension travel is a potential problem, something just behind them attached to the chassis?

I know it would not get through an MOT in UK, but should not be a problem here.

Any aerodynamics experts out there?

I've heard a full sized front number plate, mounted along the bottom of the nosecone, reduces lift. I think CC discovered this when testing a 21 race car, and had some spare wind tunnel time so stuck a Seven in there to see what they'd see. Don't remember where I heard this.

Jon

Edited by - jonhill on 23 Nov 2005 13:20:58

When the race spec CSR was released it had a chin spoiler. I too have heard that a full size number plate mounted at the bottom of the nosecone has the same effect.

Tou may also want to think about CSR cycle wings and, as mentioned, the winglets. Basically make your front end look as much like a CSR as possible to take advantage of the windtunnel testing Caterham put the CSR through.

-----------------------------------

Black grads racing 1.6 x-flow - rear facing flamethrower as standard

Se7en spotting here

K9, Formerly Activa, Formerly DITP. Formerly the Carbon Component Company nosecones have had the chin spoiler moulded in as a specifica alteration to the basic nose shape since 1996! This was on the recomendation of an interested aerodynamicist from Jordan when CCC carbon manufacture was done by a Jordan laminator on his days off!

So the place to go for an integrated chin spoiler is K9!

Thats a pint please Peter.

Do you mean with 2 or 4 fixing points? My standard GRP nose is mounted using 2 fastening. With 4 I can't see any problems with it handling downforce. Especially as all the edges except the rear align directly with chassis tubes.

-----------------------------------

Black grads racing 1.6 x-flow - rear facing flamethrower as standard

Se7en spotting here

Don't flame me for this but......looking at a carbon fibre nosecone I can't believe it's mounted rigidly enough to support any significant down force, I think it would just tear off at the fixings

It's strong-enough to demolish a 5-bar gate without significant damage, so I guess a bit of a breeze wouldn't faze it...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Mike, I think the fixings for the nose are probably in compression rather than tension at speed - i.e. the nose is being pushed onto the car.

The mountings do fail eventually if they hit something as sold as say "the back of another Seven" as Mike C will be able to confirm *tongue*

Edited by - EFA on 23 Nov 2005 17:58:47

Mike (Biddle), Caterham South Africa have a version of the CSR style GRP front wings that fit the standard car, no idea how much, but their prices are usually pretty cheap. You would think one of those doggy carbon producers in the UK would do something similar *tongue*

When I was talking to Len Unwin about front end lift a year or so ago, they said that Gary May managed to trim about a second off their lap times (Brands I think) by putting a bit of angle iron on the top of the front cycle wing, they reckon it improved front end grip dramatically.

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

MikeE wrote I can't believe it's mounted rigidly enough to support any significant down force, I think it would just tear off at the fixings

We're talking about reducing lift, not creating signficant downforce. And I suspect that the effect isn't purely at the nosecone itself but that the airflow changes brought by the chin spoiler affect more than just the nosecone. Probably.

Personally I think that if you're going to stick wings on and/or change the profile of the car then you might as well change the car...

Mike