Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Shifty dude

yankeedoodoo

This weekend a gent suggested that I substitute a quaiffe shifter for the caterham shifter in my 6 speed gearbox. His rationale is that the Q part is manufactured to a higher standard and results in quicker/crisper shifts. Has any one out there in blatchatland tried this and what might your opinions (on this subject or any other) be?

I have a "quickshift" in the garage that I do not use and would not recommend. It is *higher quality* in terms of rosejointedness and all that sort of stuff, but IT IS WORSE IN DESIGN because it doesn't stop the shaft from rotating.

The standard part has pegs that rotate in nylon tracks that keep the shaft from rotating. This means that the bush on the end of the selector shaft only ever gets even loadings from side to side and forwards and backwards. With the other shifter the fork on the end of the shift twists and eats away at the plastic bush resulting in a sloppy notchy shift - far worse than the original.

So-called "quickshifts" don't get around the single factor that makes gearchanges take a long time - the rev drop between gears. With the standard shift lever but with a 5.5inch Quarter Master clutch and billet flywheel and a clean throttle response from the throttle body fuel injection, the gearchange times become disappearingly quick and it isn't an issue how far you have to move the lever.

One vote for "don't buy".