Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ACB10s to CR500s

Roger Doidge

I have an SLR which, when I bought it was fitted with CR500s. However, from photographs I see that at some time it had been fitted with ACB10s. I find the car quite twitchy and it occurs to me that the suspension settings may have been changed to suit the ACB10s and not reset when the CR500s were fitted. If this is the case is that likely to cause the twitchyness?This is my third 7 but the first on CR500s so I have no point of reference. The car is not unpleasant to drive but doesn`t feel quite as sweet as my previous cars.

If the suspension settings do need to be changed what settings should I use?

Roger

Thanks for the reply Rob. I will try to analyse exactly what it seems to be doing. Many of the the roads in my immediate neighbourhood are very bumpy and it`s certainly not very happy on those. I know all 7s are a bit like that but even on smooth roads under fierce acceleration it has a slight tendency to dart about. On a circuit when its commited to a line it feels fine, it`s just on the road that I have a feeling that things could be improved. Maybe I`m imagining it! What settings would you recommend, I could then get it checked.

Roger.

I found on my SLR when I changed from road tyres to ACB10'S the handling changed too. I spoke to Hyperion and they suggested that it was becuase the tyre wall height had changed, ie the 45 bit of the 245/45/13 was different to the road tyres 60 profile and so lowered the rear of the car which caused really bad understeer.

Hope that helps. *smile*

I have a Superlight America w/ a 2.0L Duratec. I have a set of each type of tire.

I flipped over to ACB10's for some track days and changed the camber ears at the rear accordingly. My front toe and camber is basically in the standard range and according to an email I got from CC they said that's good w/ both tires.

On the roads around here (rough) the ACB10's are a very nervous ride and twitchy is the right word. Close attention to where the car is going is always necessary. On track they are great; the turn-in is outstanding, and the car feels planted under acceleration.

The CR500s I just put on again recently and civility on the streets has returned. The difference is amazing. I think there may be a little more understeer. I haven't had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison on the track, but soon.

I think I'll be using both, depending on track results. Certainly for me the CR500s are way better on the streets, based on my limited trials anyway.

-------

Chris

Vitural distance is only as far as you think it is

Thanks guys,

Toe out seems to make sense to me. The car certainly turns in well; not as well as my previous Fireblade but better than the BDR my first 7.

I`ll take a look at the toe out, I don`t know how you correct bump steer other than changing the height of the rack.

Roger.