Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Foam seat

Richie

I am considering making a foam seat for my 1.4 Seven that I race in the M750 Club. I have seen a few of these in the paddock at races and have been given advice on how to make them. I have been told that you can buy a foam kit that you place in a bin liner and sit on it in your car and it will expand around you, basically. But how do I then attach it to the car for racing? Do I place brackets on the foam before it sets so that they are moulded into it? Or do I make an Aluminium shell for the seat then mould the foam around that?

Get a large bin liner and tape a tube (large pop bottle with the ends cut off) into the opening. Make the mix up and then pour in through the tube. Put it in the car and sit in it! You need to maintain your sitting position for about 10 minutes whilst it hardens (and you get hot as it cures). Wear old cloths or overalls, as if you put too much foam in it will come out the tube all over you and the car. It can be very messy, but does come off. You will need help, it's not really a one man thing.

The other way of making a seat is via polystren (sp?) beads. Demon Tweaks sell the product (cally Indy Seat). I found it produced a much better seat, with less mess. With this you get a plastic bag filled with beads, fit it into the car and adjust to fit you. You take air out the bag via a nossle, so you can play to your hearts content until it's about right. You then take the bag out, put in the fixing agent and refit it in the car. You then have about 30 minutes to make adjustments. Once your happy you suck off of the air out with a vacuum cleaner and leave over night. I find that the seat is a better fit and much more comfortable.

With either seat, you will find it moulds the car very well and is hard to lift out. Once you have got it out of the car, cover the seat (I use racing tape) and then refit. You and your seat belts will hold it in place.

John Benfield

I believe Safety Devices are a UK distributor for this. They recommended only a small kit for a Caterham as long as the driver isn't too slim as the cockpit is so small. That works out at about UKP100 which is cheaper than getting it from Demon Tweeks.

I haven't tried it myself as I have just got a covered foam pad on the floor. This is cheap (about UKP65), comfy and removable should I want a proper seat.

Davebo

C7 CAR

• 3 weeks later...