Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Tram lining

GuyT

I borrowed one of the girls in our office BMW Z4 last night. The drive home is a mixture of A roads, B roads and country lanes. A's and B's were OK'ish but on country lanes where the raod camber is more pronounced the tram lining was unbelievable. It was a contsant fight to keep it in a straight line and when passing oncoming traffic with headlights on it was very scary.

Any ideas?

RGDS GuyT

I always thought this was a set up or tire width issue. However, I have recently discovered some tyres can do this badly even from a reputable maker. I changed the tyres on my tintop about three months ago and noticed that it suddenly tramlined badly. Thought it was just new tyres with square shoulders and that they would settle down. Not a hope, they got worse, indeed so bad I could not relax at all behind the wheel as I never could predict where they would pull me towards next. After three months of dodging the curb and cars coming in the other direction, I gave up and changed them for another good brand and the problem disappeared straight away. So don't rule out the tyres

• Support Team

The P-Zeros on my tin top start to tramline quite badly once they are about 2/3rds worn. when I switched to A048Rs on my Caterham it also tramlined more than with the A021Rs I had before. So yes tyre choice and tyre wear can have an effect. Toe in can also make a significant difference - a slight amount of toe in will reduce tramlining when compared with a parallel or toe-out setting.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

the guys are right. Tyres with a square profile can be awful. I had big problems with ACB10's on my live axle and could only keep the car going where I wanted with difficulty.

As soon as you hit bad road surfaces then the whole effect is magnified.

Buying those tyres taught me a lesson I won't forget. To keep what I read on blatchat in perspective and compare that to my own needs, uses and car set up.

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Vx 1.6

my updated site here