Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Non-Widetrack suspension & 2 1/4" Springs

Allen Payne

Does anyone know if the larger diameter front springs (2 1/4"?) can be used on non-widetrack DeDion suspension (Bilstein dampers)?

I'm trying to fit some to my car and the wider top spring cover, that Catherham supplied, is fouling on the rear part of the top wishbone by so much that the bottom of the damper cannot be lined up.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Allen

Allen.

I can only speak from experience of the smaller springs and support collar, but even they are a tight fit and there is minimal clearance. Very easy to catch the paintwork on the wishbone (err, so I've been told.........!). I may be wrong, but I think you'll have a real problem here.

For your sake I hope I'm wrong!

Good Luck.

Gareth.

In view of Robs comment, I assume you have managed to fit the AVO with the damping adjuster at the bottom. If you invert these shox the damping is affected & the oil can bypass the valve every now and then, but not all the time; a bit of a lottery! I had to ask as it is much easier to fit the damper inverted.

I have run a VX car on both narrow track and wide track using VX racer spec bilsteins and 2.5 springs with the dampers mounted normally and inverted, with no problems at all. The VX racers did this for years, so there shouldn't be a problem...The chassis is a 95 spec where the top mount carries the damper and the top wishbone..

Alan