Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silkolene Pro S oil "RACE" ???

Jason Plato

hello

I purchased some Pro S 5w/40 . The bottle hasa bold RACE printed on it .

My question is - as a "race" oil , does it *not* contain the additives package of Mobil 1 etc that help suspend particulates etc , and if so would we need to change it more regularly ??

if it makes any difference - the oil feels dead slippy between the fingers - more so than the slightly sticky Mobil 1 15w/50 😬

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

I appreciate its a fandabbydozey ester based thingy -, and the links display all the marketting bull about how great it is.

But does it contain the equivalent additives package to a "road car" oil such as Mobil 1 ?????. that will allow many 1000's of miles of running . Or is it a "race" formulation with no additives / detergents , suspension, etc etc and hence require more frequent changes ?

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

I run what is probably a similar product: Motul 300V 5W40 diester technology formulated for motorsports.

I mailed the Motul guys explaining that I was running the Seven for several trackdays and some fast road blats and was answered that replacing the oil every year would be OK.

The oil has been in the sump for 8 months now and 2 track days.

I notice that it remains clear.

Does that mean that there are no detergent in it.. I don't know.

Pierre

I have e-mailed them to ask....

This is what it said on the web site though:

Pro S 5W-40

A fully synthetic high performance engine oil that provides optimum protection for extended engine life and reliability. It exceeds the performance requirements of virtually all engine manufacturers. Combines exceptional anti-wear performance and outstanding high temperature protection with excellent cold start characteristics. Suitable for use in turbocharged and normally aspirated, diesel and petrol engines to ensure continued maximum fuel economy and reduced emissions. API SJ, SL, CF, ACEA A3, B3, BMW & MERCEDES

The fact it is for suitable use in a diesel as well, would suggest it certainly has additives.

Maybe this is what EFA is going to use in his new engine *wink*

Sorry to say yes its 10 hours track time!!! if you were to do 2 hours on a sessioned TD that would be about right. May be you could get more if OPL (oops I started that one earlier!! 😳) So say 3 hours so 4 or 5 sessioned or 3 or 4 OPL TD's.

As I often run back to back on OPL with YBNS and I driving, the engine get more sustained use therefore I will change every 3 TD's

Whats a few quid on the slippery stuff that stops your engine going pop when compared to the cost of a rebuild?

Grant

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here

From an e-mail from Fuchs:

Pro-S 5W/40 has all the necessary chemistry and

specifications (eg API SJ) as required by virtually all modern petrol

engines, so it can be used for the full engine manufacturer's

recommended service period. In fact, for drivers who cover a high annual

mileage, it can safely be used for extended drain intervals due to its

PAO/ester synthetic base, and superior resistance to viscosity loss.

('Shear resistance')

(In fact, I use it myself! Changed annually in a Micra at 11 to

13,000mls,and a Scenic at around 8,000. I also use the 10W/50 version in

a Mk. 1 Sprite in deference to the A-Series oil pump.)

As regards track use, it has been used for 24hr. races without a

change, but for typical short races I'd go for 8 to 12 racing hours,

provided that the motor isn't highly modified and/or turbocharged. (It's

not the extra stresses that bother the oil, it's the fact that modified

engines often run rich, and saturate the oil with fuel. I've just

analysed a sample of Pro-S 10W/50 from the Sierra Cosworth that did 200+

mph on '5th gear'; it contained 7.5%wt petrol!)

Stop being tight and treat the oil as a consumable and replace every 10 hours as suggested.

On the track you are increasing tempreture and pressures, you are passing more fuel and acid through to the oil simulating 6,000 miles of use in a short period of time.The "RACE" oil will have an additives package and in a road car will do the same as others but on the track it will last for a shorter period as above.

When you come back to the pits leave your engine running to let the oil flow and take away the heat otherwise it will burn onto metal parts like tappets causing a ticking noise when you start up.

A petrol oil is designed for a petrol engine but it will do a diesel to a lower degree.

A diesel oil will also cover a petrol engine to a lower degree.The idea of a diesel oil is to combat the greater amount of acid produced over a petrol engine, so forget the diesel spec.

Always change the filter or the EXPENSIVE new oil will only collect all the crap from the filter and reduce its life.

Do not be tempted to use a cheaper oil and change it more often as this is false economy.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

The oil is totally suitable for road and track otherwise I wouldn't have sold it to you (if I did).

The fact is that this oil can handle the stresses of the track to and we supply tens of thousands of litres a year without problems for road and track cars.

It is a superb quality oil that can be used in many applications/situations, the same goes for the PRO S 10w-50 and the PRO R 15w-50.

Cheers

Simon

Contact me:

sales@opieoils.co.uk

Oil data:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

01209 215164