Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

mechanical or hydraulic followers

frankyknuckles

I think R300s are std. Hydraulic - VHPD's had solid lifters IIRC.

Depends (largely) on how agressive your cams are, I believe. Solid can be noisy - and a PITA to shim.

See Oily's site: here

Mechanical or solid followers are available from Arrow Precision, Piper, Kent Cams, Warrior and Dave Newman. These are are not cheap (£200-400 including shims) and must be shimmed properly in order to operate satisfactorily, this is a time consuming and expensive operation. Any cam with more than 274 degrees duration or 10mm lift should use ‘solid’ followers.

The followers fitted to the VHPD, R500 and some Caterham racers are of this solid type and have a different construction to the hydraulic type being a hollow bucket with a central pillar which operates on the shim. The shim sits within a locating ring on the spring cap, in a similar manner to the converted hydraulic followers, the shims are used to set the appropriate valve clearance between cam and follower

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

ISTR that Hydraulic ones are suitable only up to certain revs - after that they can't keep up. Therefore, for the higher revving applications (i.e. beyond Rover's original tolerances), the solid ones are a must.

VHPD's had higher rev limits therefore solid followers, the R300 isn't as lairy, therefore hydraulic ones!

Oily didn't make the engine for me; it was untouched from the day it left the factory until he took the cam cover off (still had the seals in place)

But the car ran in Roadsport 'A' (hence the seals), so perhaps Minister put solid followers in for engines destined for race series, or something

stephen

Edited by - stephen grant on 14 Nov 2005 16:32:38

Solids are all about valve acceleration. More revs and more extreme cam profiles give higher valve accels. Hydraulics will pump down if they are given too hard a job to do. They are also heavier, but this only comes into effect for higher rev ranges still. If I was building an engine to see 8500rpm, I would definitely use solid followers. If I was going to see 8000rpm on a regular basis, it would be viable to use a solid conversion of the hydraulics to save a bit of money.

Mechanicals on a race Supersport are just about where it starts being something to consider. In particular with wet-sump engines that might see some aeration of the oil mechanicals will not result in that tappety death rattle.

It is worth noting that the grind of a cam designed for mechanicals is different to the grind for hydraulics - the profile is significantly different. The mechanicals are ground with a lift ramp that closes a clearance gap. Hydraulics don't need a lift ramp.

As Battered says, the 1.4KSS race cars were fitted with solids from the early days (after they trashed a number of heads running hydraulics). I would expect all the K-series race cars to run solids in the light of this, but maybe they don't? I'm pretty sure the KSports 1600 race cars (stock 1.6K in a Mallock-type chassis) run hydraulics, though I'm surprised they get away with it given Caterham's past experience.

Mike

R300s have solid followers, hydraulic followers can handle reasonably high valve acceleration provided there is sufficient duration to allow them to recharge between cycles, the hottest profiles available from Piper have 9 thou lift per degree whihc is pretty high on the Richter scale. some of the SS cams are a solid profile, primarily to prevent follower rattle in some of the race cars which is usually caused by oil aeration rather than pump-out/pump-up. The SS cams are pretty mild WRT lift, duration and valve acceleration and given good oiling certainly wouldnt need to be a solid profile. sometimes the alignment between the follower oil supply drilling and the head oil supply drilling is a little off, this cna also cause follower rattle, some judicious fettling of the oil supply dirlings in the head can improve the reliability of hydraulics no end.

Hydraulic followers are Nirvana for the valve train, they adjust automatically for thermal expansion and any wear, unlike a solid follower where the follower clearance will always be a compromise and will require continuing maintenance.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 14 Nov 2005 18:05:21

I would suggest some Piper 1227's Franky on solid followers, double valve springs , steel caps all living inside a VHPD head (with the lightest of tidy ups) from Tom 7 = 200bhp *thumbup*

WRT weight - the arrow / piper solid followers are near as damn it same weight as VVC followers converted to solids (assuming they contain no oil) ☹️

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

1227s can be hard on the valve gear, BP285H or BP285M are both capable of producing over 200BHP on a VVC /VHPD head, 1227s at the same head spec will produce 10-15BHP more but you will need to rev higher to see the extra power. The BP285H cams will run happily with hydraulic followers and these can easily be fitted as replacements for the solid followers, or BP285M (740) cams can be fitted and the existing followers re-shimmed to suit. Converted followers run OK with 740s but are marginal with 1227s or above.

Oily

Thanks for the clarrification Oily *thumbup*

Dave Jackson - My plan is to have the K16 head ported to 200bhp spec (possibly with large VVC/VHPD size valves), BP285M cams (or H depending on what Oily suggestes is best), forged pistons (already have these), single tang rods etc.

As an alterntive, I might go VHPD head route to 200bhp, not sure really. My first choice works out alot cheaper.

www.R300.net

The cams for the VVC head are more expensive too Mike, and there is quite a lot of rogering around getting the leads and distributor to work correctly. most VHPD heads are bare and populating them can be expensive. The cost of big valving a K16 head is significantly less expensive when you factor in all the hidden extras.

Oily