Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Armourfend?

paul jacobs

Can anybody tell me, from first hand experience, if armourfend will stop the gravel rash on the front of the rear wings as well as the polished stainless steel plates that are supplied as standard? It's a tall order, but if it does, then I would say it's worth going for. *biggrin*

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance!

I would not be without it on my red metalic painted wings....it certainly protects against all but the biggest stones which can cut through the film.

Standard gel coat colours stand up much better than painted colours and can survive reasonably well without additional protection but will still benefit from arnourfend.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

Ah - Paul, I see what you mean now - you mean instead of the wing protectors. Well, our wings are white (bare GRP) at the outer edges of the wing that is not covered by the SS wing protector. I would have thought that the armourfend would protect the whole wing pretty well. Why not try it anyway, and then in the future if it really gets bad, just pop a SS wing protector over the top of any damage.

www.mycaterham.com

here

88,500 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

I can see no reason at all why it wouldn't work to protect your wings without the usual stainless steel wing protectors. I have carbon wing protectors and Venture tape (current CC supplier, similar to Armourfend) above and to the side. There is no stone damage in the tape protected area unlike my last 7 which had the same carbon guards but no tape protection outside of those. After just a couple of thousand miles, that car was showing gravel rash damage on the rear wings outside of the wing guards.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Thanks for the feedback everyone *thumbup* Angus was quite right, I did instead of the standard wing protectors. To save the weight really, those standard stainless protectors are quite heavy and it is an easy way of lightening the car, but I don't want to do it at the expense of ruining the gelcoat. The other option, of course, is to go for a pair of CF protectors at considerably greater cost 😳

Out of interest I have the C/f protectors.

Just got a quote from CC midlands for my new wing its £55 per wing

at £185 for the resprayed wing it seems good value especailly if I stop hitting the pit garage door!!!

Freelance Ferret sexer and general sloth for hire

Having been rear ended recently, while my car's in having it's repairs, I'm taking the oppertunity to get the rear wheel arches resprayed and armourfended (or whatever equivilent caterham use). They've quoted £55 for respray of each wing, and £110 to armourfend them both.

she's blue and a super sport (formerly gm859)