Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What difference does an LSD make?

sjmmarsh

I notice that the 'serious' drivers all have LSDs in their cars. With just a normal diff, I was wondering what advantage it gives you in the real world, and what the downsides are on the road.

In the two sprints I have done, I posted times about 6-10s slower than the class leaders in class 4 (I have a bog-standard 150bhp VVC SV, with a 6spd box and 3.92 diff).

I know that driver upgrade is the biggest issue here, but want to know:

How much of an advantage does an LSD make, all other things being equal?

Does the LSD make the car easier to drive round a track, or is it a bit like sharpening the turn in which gives faster times, but a more nervous handling car?

All advice is appreciated. I am sure some of you have been through this route already...

Steve

I'll have a go then.........

In the real world the difference is minimal. I can't think of any particular downsides to having one on the road apart from the potential dangers of lift-off oversteer in the wet (which is all in the right foot at the end of the day and can be quite entertaining if expected) and you do have to be off the throttle quite aggressively at high revs for it to really be a problem.

In the sprints you referred to, you may have found with an LSD you would have been only 4 to 8 secs slower than the class leaders (which is worth having) as a result of the power being planted better off the line and out of tight bends and oversteer being more progressive and controllable.

Yes, I think an LSD makes for easier driving around a track - it's more predicatable compared to the vagueries of a single wheel thinking about spinning during weight transfer in a bend. I don't think it makes the car more nervous but more "alive"!

When I bought my first Seven with a view to hillclimbing I ticked the LSD box without hesitation.

Ken