Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DITP Carbon Air Box - Make Me and Offer

Anthony

For sale as unfortunately it will not fit Gambo's induction.

Perfect for K-series, or VX with direct to head TB's

Perfect condition and never fitted.

MAKE ME AN OFFER AROUND 500 WHICH IS A 200 SAVING OVER NEW

E-mail's please to anthony.burgess@cwcom.cwplc.com

Many thanks

Anthony

Edited by - anthony on 16 Nov 2005 08:44:44

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, but if the spacing between the roller barrels is the same as on a K (it quite possible is to get the common linkage working) then one of the pre-cut R3/4/500 backplates should fit a Dura with Caterham Roller B's.

The only special backplate made was a dished one which allows it to be fitted with the overhanging fuel rail the 8 injector Jenvey setup on my car has, and also the Jenvey DTH bodies for the Zetec I believe.

Arnie,

Peter T and I spent a good hour or so working out how to fit one of these airboxes to a Duratec (mine) one day last winter (after I'd helped him move his hot tub 😬). With a flat back plate the airbox is in danger of being hit by the nearside front wheel on full lock.

In a K-series (and VX I presume) the engine is canted over (to allow the induction to fit within the confines of the bonnet) and this has the effect of tilting the airbox upwards. On a Duratec the engine's mounted vertically so the induction/airbox is horizontal and therefore much closer to the front mudguard. So the solution is actually to make a 'Duratec backplate' which tilts the airbox up at 20deg or so - yout won't do it with a flat backplate.

Having said that I have the Raceline (Jenvey) throttle bodies, with roller barrels their might be more clearance but I'd be surprised if there's enough.

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

MIke,

The VX is also absolute vertical in the chassis. What TB's is your Duratec using, and is their axis up the tracts perpendicular to the engines vertical centreline?

I think an angled backplate will interefere with the airflow around the trumpet mouths if you are using very long and l;arge dia trumpets (mine are 105mm dia, 110mm long)

Edited by - EFA on 23 Nov 2005 23:58:09

Guys, agree on the box being first class, it really is beautiful.

My induction exits horizontal to a vertical engine, on reflection I should have had an alternative backplate made up.

Alternatives are expensive, in some instances four times the asking price.

What I have learnt, a bit too late, is not to be put off if something does fit, a professional solution can be made to match the performance and appearance of the original.

Thanks for all your help.

Anthony

Arnie,

I think they're Jenvey 45mm? (branded Raceline) and yes I'm pretty sure they're mounted perpendicular to the engine (i.e. horizontally) so I'm a bit puzzeled how it fit's fine on yours.

At the time Peter did say your had to have a modified backplate because your fuel rail was beyond the line of the backplate but I guess you still mount the backplate vertically?

Do you have super-wide front suspension as I guess that would give more clearance?

Mike, There is a pic of how my and most of the DTH type TB's fit onto a VX. My TB's are actually 25mm longer than almost all others on a VX, and the backplate of the airbox is a dished type to prevnet the airbox interfering with the top fuel rail.

Only VX's on carbs, or VX's using 45DCOE type throttle bodies (like JPE's had) on the original Caterham VX inlet manifold have the inlet tract horizontal. This actually meanms there is quite a pronounced kink in the inlet tract which has a detrimental effect on power.

The pic is here

Edited by - EFA on 24 Nov 2005 12:24:01

I can't access your picture Arnie *confused*

Take a look here, clearly I was wrong the Duratec DTHTB are infact angled upwards slightly. Surely your's must be angled up even more though otherwise you'd have the same problem I had?

Arnie,

I'm extremely hard of thinking (especially as I'm winding down since I resigned 😬) so please do me a favour and spell it out in w-o-r-d-s o-f o-n-e s-y-l-l-a-b-l-e and I might be able to answer your question (or is it an insult 😳)