Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gearing

Roadsport06

I have ordered my build for Easter, but would like a lower reving 5th gear for 70mph on the motorway. Do Caterham do this and is it extra? What are peoples views on doing this?

The caterham ratios are:

CLOSE RATIO 5 SPEED

1st: 3.36:1

2nd: 1.81:1

3rd: 1.26:1

4th: 1.00:1

5th: 0.82:1

Final drive: 3.92:1

How do I work out the engine rev at 70mph?

Thanks

If your running 14" 185/60 rr tyres (as an example) I make it on a 3.92 diff 84mph at 4000rpm and about 70mph at 3400rpm.. that is totally adaquate...and in my opinion even a little high. (a max speed of 137 at 6500rpm *eek*

A 3.62 diff would give you 91mph at 4000rpm and 70mph comes up at 3050rpm.... far too high. A max speed of 145mph at 6500rpm *eek* *eek*

Your choice!

anxiously waiting for my new 2.3 SV

I have been on the gearcalc software and had a look at caterhams final drive options, I think I will go for the 3.38 rather than the standard 3.92 with my k 1.8 (140bhp) as it will certainly help cruising on the motorway.

As anyone else been down this route? Any views?

Be seeing you

James,

I think you are making a rash decision with the wrong information.

It is intended for engines with a more limited rev range than has recently been the case. It has appeared on the pricelist because it is the right diff to get the best out of the 2.3 litre Duratec engines when combined with the six-speed box.

A 140 X-power k-series with the five-speed box a 3.92 diff is standard and appropriate. With the six speed box the 3.62 works best. A 3.38 diff with a five speed on a K would be just plain wrong IMO.

Except for having to change down to accelerate... *mad*

With a 3.38 diff, the car would most likely achieve maximum speed in 3rd gear. By which I mean it would fail to accelerate to the same speed in 4th or 5th. If I remember correctly, most k-series standard and supersport Sevens get ~38mpg on a run even with a 6 speed box with 1:1 top.

Another vote for the 3.92 diff *thumbup* and as Peter says if you fit a 3.38 forget about acceleration *thumbdown*. I suggest you go to a local meet and go out in a few diffent cars, a bit difficult at this time of year I know and to show you how popular the 3.38 ratio is I doubt you will find one in a 1.8K.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

James,

I run a standard 1.6K configuration (3.92 diff and standard gearbox).

At legal speeds on motorway it is fine for cruising (I never remember the actual RPM but it is lower than 4000, the car returns +/- 40 mpg in those conditions) However, acceleration in 5th won't impress you *smile*

I stand to be corrected but the general conssensus is that the silly short first gear is the main (and only " real "?) problem with the standard set-up.

hope this helps ...