Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is this sellable?

stephen grant

I'm not entirely sure how to proceed on this, but, since I see a similar thread below, i'll have a go;

Shortly after buying my 7 I got James Whiting to source a 2nd hand roadsport cage for me. When he fitted the cage he found that one of the rear struts on the cage was about 1mm-2mm away from the mounting point in the boot and concluded that my car had had a bash up the back at some time (it used to race in Roadsport 'A') and the repair hadn't been aligned perfectly. So he welded a washer onto the bottom mounting point of one of the back struts of the cage so that it would fit. I ran it around for about a year and got fed up with the lack of headroom (my car has all the additional bracing and honeycomb filling in the floor, so the floor is higher than normal, and it can't be lowered because of the cross bracing). So I asked James to switch it to an FIA bar. When he went to fit the FIA bar, he found it all aligned perfectly with the car.

Conclusion; there's nothing wrong with the alignment on my car, but the problem was with the cage, which, presuming it was on a race car before mine, had presumably had a bang at some point. Looking at it a bit more carefully, the powder coating has cracked slightly where the rear strut joins the rest of the cage, which supports this theory.

So, to get to the point. I have a roadsport cage, in my garage, in reasonable nick, with a washer welded onto the mounting point of one of the rear arms so that it is aligned properly.

Is this sellable?

stephen

RSA are all De-dion. LA cages are totally different and wouldn't come close to fitting as the mounting is done in a completely different way.

I agree with Dave. As long as you're honest in the description so people know what they're buying I don't see a problem with selling it. It's up to them to either take the risk or sort it out - I'm sure it's the manufacturers can give a steer on whether it's structurally sound and safe to use.

I bought a bag tank that had a tear in it. But before doing so I spoke to the manufacturer, go them to confirm that it was repairable, the cost of the repair, and the certification they would offer with it. Result - cheap bag tank, pressure tested to the same level as a new one *thumbup*

Andrew

Edited by - coyoteracer11 on 11 Nov 2005 19:21:02