Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Propylene Glycol coolant

phillinda

Is it possible to get this any more (Coldstream)? My system is filled with greeny blue coolant so if I can't get any PG I guess I'll have to drain the whole system and move over to Xstream *confused*

General consensus on Blatchat is that PG is better for Aluminium engine so strange that it isn't readily available 🤔

Phil

I know this has been done to death, but I really don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to find PG-based coolants any more - I certainly couldn't find any locally, and so if you find yourself needing a top-up for some reason (or an emergency swap at a sprint to replace a duff thermostat for instance), then you'll be glad of having flushed and started again.

EG-based coolants certainly work perfectly-well - I'd give up and go with the flow on this one unless you can secure supplies from somewhere.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

get the Comma red 3 year stuff rather than the red 5 year version as it is OE spec and it is recommended by Comma for all Caterhams, kind to alloy engines and you mix it 50/50 with distilled water.

Just had the Comma rep in teaching me about Anti freeze.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

• Leadership Team

Comma Coldstream is still readily available *thumbup* I gave my spare 5L bottle to another Se7ener following a "leak" at Curborough in September. He popped out the following week and bought a replacement bottle no problem at all.

Stu.

get the Comma red 3 year stuff rather than the red 5 year version as it is OE spec and it is recommended by Comma for all Caterhams.

Just had a look at the comma oil web site and the 3 year stuff is listed as green and not red. Is there a 3 year red product that's not shown on the website?

Phil

IIRC Rover 4 year coolant is PG based too.

Maybe - but the stuff they've been selling for the last few years is EG based (pink) - rebadged Texaco Havoline (used to be sold as Havoline - the last few batches I bought from them were in Rover packaging, but identical contents).

• 3 weeks later...

Been looking for coolant today. I currently have a blueish one i presume it coldsteam.

Coldstream is no longer made so I have a few options.

1. fill with Comma coldmaster

2. X steam Green

3. X steam Red.

Am I right that I can just add 1 & 2 to the current system and 3 will need a full drain down and flush out?

David

Take a reading and gues how much you need, drain some out to put some in, you have just weakend the mixture again. Why not start again and put the correct amount in and do it properly?

Red in yours and mix 50% antifreeze 50% water

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

I did see a 'magic' coolant somewhere recently - might have been Halfrauds - the claim was that it was compatible with all other coolants, so you didn't need to worry what you'd got in there already...

...wouldn't trust it as far as I could hurl it.

• 4 weeks later...

EG.PG,3yr,5yr,red,green,pink,blue,distilled water,tap water - lots of choices, or not?

Which should I purchase?

Xmas Eve and my fairly recently acquired 1997 K series decided to overheat and in the process of nursing it back home (2 miles with long cooling down times between each half mile or so) it spat out much of the coolant.

Iam hoping that the prob is just an air block and so by following the guidance found here on Techtalk I will be able to put things right. However I do need to a purchase the right stuff.

Is there a definitive answer or a consensus *confused*