Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brise / Pace tank sizes

Kevsta

Does anybody have the rough sizes etc of the brise tank? Its for the BB pace DS system and would be a good starting point. Also, can those that alreqady have the system advise on what fittings to have on the tank (like magnetic drain plug, no of outlets and best positions etc.)

Mant thanks

Kevsta

I got the standard tank that Mick Smith used in his installation, the blurb is as follows

"The tank used for this installation was custom built by Brise Fabrications to fit in front of the engine. It has two inputs to match the twin scavenge stages on the PACE pump, and will hold over 6 Litres of oil. A fitting is provided for a standard K Series temperature sensor."

http://www.hoymotorsport.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pace_pages/fitting_the_pace_dry_sump_system.htm

You could always give Tim a ring at Brise, he will happily discuss the tank with you *cool*

Tim Brise: 01322-277622 http://www.brise.co.uk/

Tim can do just about any kind of fabricating you want. I was there yesterday looking at a new alternator & getting my 2 starter motors overhauled. He will even modify my petrol tank to an internal filler. So all we have to do is ask.

So I would guess we need: 2 scavenge in; 1 pressure out; 1/8th NPTF tapping for temperature sensor; breather to cam cover; breather to catch tank; 6 litre capacity & a drain plug in the bottom.

Indeed if Brise have made one already I'm sure they've kept the drawings for the future.

However are Pace interested in supplying a suitable front mounted tank?

Mick

Kevsta.

I spoke to Tim at Brise & Neil at Pace prior to buying the components for my 1.8K. I dont wish to muddy the waters but neil at Pace advised me that the system was developed to run with the engine sealed. IE no breather from the engine. The DS tank being vented to an appropriate catch tank. That's the way I've set mine & so far have had no problems & no returns to the catch tank. The engine does make strange clucking noises but this is "normal" with the engine sealed up.

The tank unless you specify otherwise will look like the one shown in the link above. You'll get a 12 JIC outlet at the bottom RHS of the tank which supplies oil to the pump under gravity. You'll also have two 10 JIC returns close to the top of the tank, the breathers as shown & an 1/8 tapping for the temp probe. The only supplied means of fixing the tank is a small bracket welded to the rear of the tank. This aligns with the hole in the top cruciform on the chassis, at the moment there's probably a bolt in there supporting your coolant expansion tank. This will need re-locating after you install the oil tank.

The only modification I asked for was for the breathers to be fitted with male JIC fittings so that I could use pukka hose ends instead of push-ons. I've got one coming out either side of the tank top. One's blanked off, the other goes to the catch tank.

One thing that did alarm me was that the male JIC fittings come welded to the tank. This in my eyes is'nt good practice. If the thread or the tapered sealing face gets damaged the whole tank has to go away to get sorted. Better to thave welded female bosses in the tank with NPT to JIC adaptors screwed into them. That way if they get damaged you can unscrew & replace them.

The base of the tank is a flat plate. This sits on the six way cruciform at the front of the chassis. I made up a couple of sheet ally dogs that are rivited to the tak base. These engage between the chassis rails. That way the tank's held firmly in position & once the fixing bolt is removed the tank can be lifted straight up & out.

The drain plug idea's a good one & something that I forgot to spec on mine *confused*

If you want specific measurements or any pictures let me know tonight if you can. I'm having a few ales & will find a bit of spare time between checking BC & making Mrs Davesport cups of tea 😬

Dave.

We've had this discussion before, but the system can be run sealed or with a breather hose going from the cover to the tank, then a hose to the catch tank, which is the way I run mine and others do the same.

It works fine, and no clucking *cool*