Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hoses: Silicone or Standard Rubber?

Mick Day

My OE ones showed cracks on the surface worse than the original hoses on the 1978 Dolomite Sprint I had at the same time . . . some went quite deep on inspection after removal.

Swopped for silicon for peace of mind - little interesting getting them on first time (soap!) but fine since - only come off once since - for CRB change last winter and it was re-plumbed at the same time for a Freelander thermostat - so now has a mix of Land Rover, Caterham silicon hoses and original heater hoses.

Since done nearly as many miles up and down Alpine passes, towed a 21 over one, as it has down near sea level - and I never even thought about a hose going - which was the idea.

Bri

Silicone hoses are MUCH easier to get on/off and they don't show ear and tear at all, they cost more but are resilient to oil/petrol/heat etc etc....if you don't want to pay DT prices for Samco, look out for Highbury Hoses, same quality etc but half the price and they can supply pretty much any size/shape/fitting *wink* 😬 *thumbup*