Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Novice Questions!

Jenson Button

I'm seriously considering sprinting next year.....

A few questions:

1) Other than the licence, racesuit & helmet, timing strut and FIA bar, is there anything else I need (serious answers only please *tongue*).

2) Previously I have only taken part in track days. The majority of the venues are not at circuits - is there any way to 'practice'?

3) Controversial question *tongue*: is class 2 or class 3 more competitive? I'm vearing towards class 3 as I use A048's and don't want to have a good car with cr*p tyres, but don't want to go in class 3 if everyone's on sprint compound ACB-10's! Realistically, are many using ACB-10's in class 3?

4) I understand the 2006 calendar is not yet confirmed but what month is it likely to start and finish?

5) know there's a faq in competitor's corner, but other than it's fun and I won't regret it sort of thing, is there anything else I should know?

Thanks,

Richard

Depending on seat type, possibly a headrest support about £25 ish.

But what ever you need, just do it *thumbup* *thumbup*

Regarding practice, this was a big concern of mine at the start of the year as 2005 was my first season, however most of the sprint circuits are fairly straight forward to learn reasonably well within a few runs, hillclimbs somewhat harder, due to thier less than flat layout 😬 😬

Poss practice / track days at Llandow.

I

Richard

as to which class come and join class 3. why? well you do not need to change your tyres keeps cost down.

Expectations: If you what to be a front runner in your maiden year then you will need acb 10 a24 tyres but if you want to use year 1 as a stepping stone and a learning tool then the 48's will be ok.

I spent to much money geting the car sorted prior to my 1st year and had to change it all as i bought the wrong bits ie springs, shocks ect.

If your aim in year one is to go be at the front (it will be difficult as prior knowledge of tracks give an advantage) then class 2 or class 3. in class 3 you need to buy acb10's in class 2 15" stunner tyres and rims. so not a lot in it.

what ever you do you will have fun.

looking forward to next year already.

David

I think David summed it up well. Either class is very friendly but also very competitive at the top end.

The great thing about sprinting is that each class then splits down into smaller battles against the people who you are close to on time. If you come 8th in the first one then you can go after the guy who came 7th in the next one which adds spice to it!

In year 1 the fact that you don't know the courses will make a top 5 pretty tricky so I wouldn't blow too much money at this stage.

If it helps I have got 4 medium compound ACB10's with a bit of tread left that I will soon be taking off my car to sell, this would be a reasonable compromise between quick but not expensive for the first few events to allow you to see if you enjoy it. Let me know if you're interested.

Steve

I spent to much money geting the car sorted prior to my 1st year and had to change it all as i bought the wrong bits ie springs, shocks ect.

David, what are the wrong and right bits? *confused* 😬 I've a 1.6 Superlight with the standard adjustable Bilsteins. I wasn't looking to fork out on new suspension as I'm actually happy with the way my car handles after a bit of experimentation with anti-roll bars.

How much are the A24 compound ACB-10's and how many sprints would they last for?

Edited by - ChocolateTelevision on 30 Oct 2005 18:55:26

Richard

I bought the uprated springs from cc 250lb front and 150ib at the back then got m1 dampers.

This set up might be ok for track but for sprints the rears were to stiff. change to 150lb and was much better. start times went from 2.75 ish to 2.4.

If its a SL then i would leave the springs alone at 1st and see what its like.

last year i change dampers and springs again but have found a system that works for me.

Front ARB: sl came with a green bar its to stiff, either buy a freestyle ajustable or I have a red widetrack bar around i could sell.

David

Richard,

4 ACB10's will set you back just over £500 IIRC. Wear rate seems to be very different on different cars though. The set I ran in 2004 on my live axle were almost done after 6 sprints, whereas I think Rob got closer to 9 or 10 out of his.

Budget for a set a season and you'll be about right. I'll check my email in the morning as I'm not at my usual computer.

Steve

i'm very interested too.

Recently got my Sprint licence through, (after a looong wait).- medicals etc.

Are there events that cater for the South East locality, or does one really need to invest in a trailer to travel further afield?

Tim (L7 EVN - on the upgradealator)

Afraid us boys in the south do end up travelling a bit, but for me that is part of the build up so I quite like it!

I would recommend a trailer, It makes the journey there and back easier, you can carry more stuff and you have less stress on what happens to your car.

If you're thinking about doing it then I'd say get your licence and go for it. it's worth it for the friendships and banter alone, let alone the bit where you get to hoon round.

Steve

CT/Tim,

To answer a couple of your queries:

At most hillclimb/sprint venues (particularly hillclimbs) there are limited or no opportunities to practise outside the events. Frankly thats part of the fun!

As to kit for the car the item you might have missed on the articles in Competitors Korner is a proper head restraint. Even if your car has tillets etc these are not good enough. There was a thread about this at the start of the 2004 season when this reg was introduced.

The speed event season usually starts around Easter and finishes late September, early October - for everyone. Our calendar normally conforms to this.

I compete (if thats the word!) in class 2 - lots of fun. I am not amongst the front runners in that class but there are several others with whom I have little battles, and alas usually lose! I also tend to drive to events rather than trailer if at all possible. There are usually lots of competitors at events in both class 2 and 3 so lots to look at!

For speed events you really need to live in the midlands/north to have many local events.

Brian

• Area Representative

Richard,

I'd agree with most of the above coments.

I've done OK in class 2 this year running standard springs and dampers. The only addition being adjustable platforms.

My 15" Stunners, have done 12 sprints and hillclimbs, two Llandow track days, and about 1500 road miles, and look like they would last several thousand more road miles.

Whilst I forked out to buy the wheels at the stard of the season, the tyres cost less than £40 a corner! You could buy a set of wheels and tyres for less than the cost of a set of ACB10's.