Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Centre console

shaunsl

At last years motorshow I remember seeing one of the cars on the Caterham stand had a sort of centre console going between the dashboard and the transmission tunnel for housing a radio. Is this an official Caterham accessory or does anyone know where else to get one

was that the autosport 50th anniversay model, I think that is the only caterham 7 factory fitted with a stero, although I am not sure what the point is...

don't caterham claim to flog a certain brand of stereo? I guess it mustbe an option on the price list somewhere

rob

I thought the one in the 50th Anniv was in the dash in front of the passenger?

I guess it gives the egits something to nick other than the gear knob. And keeps you amused at traffic lights (though I always find 1.2 Novas revving their nuts off amusing enough).

At the AutoSport show Caterham had a Seven with this 'Centre Console fitted. It was the removable fascia type of stereo/CD player and had same removed (for safety/theft I suppose). I banged my hand on it when pushing the shift into 1st, 3rd & 5th and that was WITH the fascia removed. Must be dreadful with it fitted in place.

What's the point anyway; your right foot is in control of the music !!!

I work for Alpine that is supplier to Caterham. I remember seeing a car with radio in the dashboard itself. I know of other people that have mounted the radio under the dash on the passenger side. Speakers go in the rear bulkhead and i think there was a sub woofer in the footwell as well but not sure if that is offered. The latest Caterham price list I saw showed "Alpine stereo" as an option.

S31VEN

Shaunsl, if you mean the Motorshow 2000 car (An all Black car with special non standard leather seats), I now own this car and yes it does have a centre console with a Alpine CD/Radio. As far as I remember this console is a Caterham part becuase I think I saw a part number on it when I had to remove it one day.

Chris Clark commented about banging his hand on the stereo when putting the gears in 1st, 3rd and 5th and I must admit that I too had this problem when I first bought the car but I soon learned how to change gear without doing this and also found that the console was bent at the wrong angles and once this was corrected the problem went away.

I know that most people on this forum slate anyone who admits to having a stereo in a Caterham and I admit that I don't use mine much but there are times when travel news etc can be useful. Any way it seemed a shame to take it out since it seemed to have been fitted reasonably well.

Mine has a dreadfull 70s style tape player mounted between the seats.

The back would protrude into the boot but is covered in a colour matched lamiplate er....cover.

The speakers are set into the side panels at shin level.

The way this is all done looks almost factory fitted.

As so many options were fitted as standard to the Silver Jubilee Editions, was this the first Caterham factory fitted with a stereo?

It doesn't work of course.

Mark

Edited by - Mark Jackson on 16 Dec 2001 21:25:34